8v vrs 16v/5spd -decision to make

mensanguy

I have a 89 with the 8v motor, but the allure and mystique of the 16v with a 5 speed keeps calling to me.

Am looking seriously at purchasing one w/37k miles, ( 16v) in very good condition.

Question--is this combination desirable more because of the scarcity or extra performance upgrade, and is it worth the extra$?

Am concerned about the dependability and longevity of the engine- and whether it will turn into a

money pit as time goes by.

What is a good price for this model equipped as such?

Guest BobFitz

I own both. The 16v has better performance. You could just about equal it with the 8v by adding 2 1/2 in. exhaust, flow through muffler, K+N air filter and a FWD Performance ECU- cost- ~$500.

If you are looking at the 16v on Ebay right now I asked the seller a list of questions on the last auction which he never put on the auction page. Wonder why? I know the brake accumulator is original and he claims the brakes are OK- but for how long?

I paid much less for my 16v, original owner and all the goodies- tool kit etc. Besides it is red and all Italian red cars are faster.............

All TCs are going to be more expensive than a Toyota to repair. 16v maybe more so because of the scarcity of parts. The more maintenance you do the more dependable they will be.

Bob

Edited by BobFitz (see edit history)

I own both. The 16v has better performance. You could just about equal it with the 8v by adding 2 1/2 in. exhaust, flow through muffler, K+N air filter and a FWD Performance ECU- cost- ~$500.

If you are looking at the 16v on Ebay right now I asked the seller a list of questions on the last auction which he never put on the auction page. Wonder why? I know the brake accumulator is original and he claims the brakes are OK- but for how long?

I paid much less for my 16v, original owner and all the goodies- tool kit etc. Besides it is red and all Italian red cars are faster.............

All TCs are going to be more expensive than a Toyota to repair. 16v maybe more so because of the scarcity of parts. The more maintenance you do the more dependable they will be.

Bob

i feel the 16V has a lot more power by just the seat of the pants feel. i was driving mine yesterday and for the 200hp rating, the car is strong and it comes on fast. the 8V does not have that same feel. i have mine for sale in NJ and it has 61k miles and is daily driven and i'm willing to take less money than TX wants. 89 Cabernet ginger black top 16V 5spd.

I have a 89 with the 8v motor, but the allure and mystique of the 16v with a 5 speed keeps calling to me.

Am looking seriously at purchasing one w/37k miles, ( 16v) in very good condition.

Question--is this combination desirable more because of the scarcity or extra performance upgrade, and is it worth the extra$?

Am concerned about the dependability and longevity of the engine- and whether it will turn into a

money pit as time goes by.

What is a good price for this model equipped as such?

I have sent you a private NOTIFICATION. Look at the top right of this page. Between "WELCOME" AND "MY PROFILE"

Guest pnsurfin

There is no comparison between a 16V and an 8v or 6 cylinder TC. The later 2 are sluggish ( I've owned all 3 and only own the 16v now). The 16v is the real deal with the Maserati Cosworth head with dual overcams, 4 valves a cylinder and Gestag 5 speed and it sounds exotic. I have 82,000 on mine and it has been hassel free.

There is no comparison between a 16V and an 8v or 6 cylinder TC. The later 2 are sluggish ( I've owned all 3 and only own the 16v now). The 16v is the real deal with the Maserati Cosworth head with dual overcams, 4 valves a cylinder and Gestag 5 speed and it sounds exotic. I have 82,000 on mine and it has been hassel free.
I beg to differ with you. I run an 8 valve TC, using Shelby SMEC, 5 speed transaxle from Daytona Shelby. Although it may not put out quite as much power, (I also owned a 16v) I'm quite satisfied with the performance. The downfall with the 8v car is not the engine but the 3 speed automatic.