Importing a car to the UK

pvmw

Hi all,

I have been, for the last 5 years, slowly restoring a 1916 Maxwell which was imported into the UK in 1990 by a previous owner. Its getting closer, and so I thought it was time to register it with the UK licencing authorities. This is proving much harder and more stressful that building the car in the first place!

They have now passed me to the UK Customs and Excise as they need proof that import duties have been paid. I have a copy of the original importers invoice, and also a copy of a form called "Owners Vehicle Identification Affidavit" from the State of Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. On this form the vehicle identification number is stated to be 301-30-0049. This bears no resemblance to the chassis number which is just 6 digits (and dates the car as late 1916).

My question, to which someone may know the answer, is what is the number on the form? Is it something anyone recognises? The reason I ask is that I can see a problem with some bureaucrat if they notice that the chassis number and the number on this form differ. The more evidence I can provide the better, but if it is contradictory it might be better if I didn't include it.

I have the engine and chassis number, and the necessary paperwork containing those numbers to get the car registered. First I have to get a declaration from Customs that any necessary import duties have been paid. I have a purchase receipt and a copy of the original shipping invoice so that will be sufficient to satisfy C&E. I was curious as to what the number quoted on the Florida document might be, although it is stated as the VIN on the form it isn't a chassis number as the format is completely wrong.

I'm not going to send C&E a copy as it may simply cause confusion, and it isn't necessary to give it to them, but I wondered if anyone could tell me what it is. I also have a small metal plate a few inches long with the number stamped on it that was included in the documents that came with the car. I'm guessing some sort of body number or build number - but does anyone else have something similar attached to their car?