VIDEO: Cruising Sunset Boulevard in 1963

Guest Magoo

I looked at the same street location shown at the end of the 1963 video on google maps and a few of the same buildings are still there today! So cool!

Ha! That's exactly the same thing I do. I burn away the hours...

Not many cars older than early 50's. That would be like driving around today and not seeing any car older than early 2002. If you go directly to the youtube video you will see a link to a modern day version of sunset driving. After watching for about 2 monutes I got bored because there was not one car that I said "ohh, look at that". Just a bunch of blah, even the wealthy cars lack style.

Guest Skyking
Not many cars older than early 50's. That would be like driving around today and not seeing any car older than early 2002. .

There is one difference. Today you can't tell the 2002 cars from the 2014 cars. They all look the same.

• 2 weeks later...

That was fun !!

I remember as a kid being fascinated by the rotating signs, especially the Shell signs (Dad did some work for Shell and he got me a model Shell service station scaled to the same sacle as my match box cars)

Note: the Shell sign has an attendant climbing a ladder to the sign. Very Cool

I got it working... Pomeroy, The car looks like around a 1959 Plymouth to me. It even pulled out a Plymouth Dealers lot. Say, Toward the beginning, Did anyone notice who ever was driving ran a red light. At .22 seconds, the light blue car parked on the right looks like an Austin Healey 100. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

1959 Plymouth? Not sure I agree there. Here is a 1958 Ford police car. Here is a 1959 Plymouth. The trim on the Plymouth is not close. The trim on the Ford is close but it just don't seem to arc down like the car in the film.

post-75225-143142983964_thumb.jpg

post-75225-143142983991_thumb.jpg

post-75225-143142983992_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

1959 Plymouth? Not sure I agree there. Here is a 1958 Ford police car. Here is a 1959 Plymouth. The trim on the Plymouth is not close. The trim on the Ford is close but it just don't seem to arc down like the car in the film.

I was leaning towards the Chrysler product until I saw them side by side. It's a '58 Ford.....

I concur, a '58 Ford Fairlane 500 4dr hardtop. Perhaps it's the motion of the car and the film speed that could be distorting the image a bit?

Thanks for that link, Magoo! There's also a similar vid from the '40s, too, I believe? About 5 years ago, I ran across a link from an LA radio personality who was retiring. He also had a collection of LA pictures he'd shot from that same general timeframe. LOTS of businesses and street scenes from the earlier 1960s, which were great to look at (I saved them to another laptop I have). Don't remember his name, though. Seems like it was from a "Spam Pie" thread in the BCA Forum that I found his pictures, as one picture was of a "dinner party" having Spam Pie for its meal?

Take care,

NTX5467

I think it's specifically a 58 Ford 500 Skyliner with the electric hard top convertible. It may appear to be a 4 door but my guess is it's a 2 door.

On that model the gas door is where you're thinking it's the back door handle but I believe it's actually the gas door.

Guest Skyking
I think it's specifically a 58 Ford 500 Skyliner with the electric hard top convertible. It may appear to be a 4 door but my guess is it's a 2 door.

On that model the gas door is where you're thinking it's the back door handle but I believe it's actually the gas door.

Definitely not a Skyliner...... Looks to be a 4dr. ht. as mentioned.

Guest marlin65

love the Corvair panel van near the end parked by the curb. Couldn't see the business logo on it though. Ed Dade City,fl