1935 Packard Eight Wiring Problems

Guest the4hundred

Guest the4hundred

I recently purchased a 1935 Packard Eight. It has all new wiring, but I can't get any of the

Headlights to work? The previous owner said they used to work?

I was wondering if it could be in the controls in the steering wheel, and if it is, how do you remove the Horn Button Cover.

the4hundred

I believe the horn button is retained by a sort of twist lock and spring. To remove you have to press down and twist the bezel about a quarter of a turn.

However, before doing that, have you checked for a live at the base of the steering column? The horns earth at the steering wheel button, so you should have a live up to, through the horns and to the base of the column. If not, your fault lies elsewhere. I would check along the entire system with a voltmeter first, before tackling the horn button. Or, shorting the wire at the base of the column to earth should cause the horns to sound.

You may find that you need to switch on the ignition to get a live at the horns, depending on how they have been wired.

Just for future reference, you may get a better response by posting in the dedicated Packard section below.

Hope this helps

Adam..

Edited by Alfa (see edit history)