Bizarre '89 Water Leak adds to the growing list

Tom_

I was going to get dinner Sunday night and noticed a dark area beneath the rear of the seats on both sides. I reached down there and the carpet was SOAKING wet. I smelled it and it didn't have any particular order like antifreeze would. I think it's water. The odd part is, there is zero evidence of water leakage of any kind on the seats, rockers, door sills floor mats or anywhere else. Just under both seats and towards the rear, i.e. no water in front of the front seat mounting bolts. I looked at all the seals and they looked alright and left the windows cracked the next day in the sun and it didn't dry out at all. Today I got in and there was a new wet spot in the middle of the driver's side floor mat. Smelled the same and was absolutely drenched in a very localized spot about 6 inches across and in an irregular shape. I checked the door seals, looked underneath at those sealed spots in the floor and they looked alright to me. I have never had a car be this wet and have no evidence near the bottom of the doors of leaks. It's so humid in there the windows are foggy if I park it anywhere at night. Rain or shine.

Any ideas? Between the abs light always being on, the hole in the dash where the tape deck used to be, the 41 code constantly on and the washer pump refusing to work I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this car (towels having already been thrown in to try to soak up the water).

Tom

There have been a few rare cases of the back window seal leaking. When it does it runs down behind the plastic trim and under the platform behind the seats and water puddles under the seats. One owner had water collect in the storage bins behind the seats.

I saw in another thread it could be from the trunk leaking and the spare tire well overflowing into the floorboards. I'll check that tomorrow afternoon. Is there any way to check the rear window seals without taking it through the car wash?

Guest Mc_Reatta

All seem to be common problems of inheriting a moderately neglected Reatta.

Have you learned how to use the search function yet and where ROJ is?

Guest my3buicks

My black 88 leaked at the top of the back window, it would sneak in, drip out of the seatbelt opening and right down behind the seat.

I have a very slight leak in the rear window on my scrub 88. This window was replaced prior to my ownership and they apparently didn't use enough adhesive. This left a void where water can sometimes sneak through. I can also hear wind noise (at highway speeds) coming in the same gap. I've not fixed it yet as I will remove the window when I repaint it. Point being not to discount the possibility of it leaking there.

KDirk