Hard top/Soft top rear clamp help needed

ThunderVette

I am working on my last big piece of restoration of my '56 T-Bird....the soft top! I am currently rebuilding the rear deck clamps that mount on the top. I have purchased new springs and studs, but am at a loss on how to get the spring wound up and everything together. I am hoping someone out there has experienced the same thing and has a solution. I don't think this matters but I have a late '56 that uses the '57 style clamp (straight handle). Thanks, Tim

Hi Tim,

The spring goes between the plate and the straight handle. The clamps are the same for the soft top and hard top, at least for 1957. All of my clamps work as they should, so I am reluctant to take them apart. You will have to play around with it some so see how they go together. You will know that things are right when the handle snaps back to the pin on the top of the plate when you rotate the handle 180 degrees and then let go. I hope this helps. It is a little hard to describe.

Regards,

Lew,

Yes, it's best not to take them apart! I had to with mine because they were weak and needed to re-chrome the plates and handle. The spring fits into a hole on the plate and a hole inside the handle. The problem is getting those engaged and rotating the handle to get the tension so it does spring back. I could do that if that peg on the plate wasn't there!! I'm sure they had some easy way to do that at the factory!

I'll add this to the list of challenges I've had with this restoration :)

Hi Tim,

I have been thinking some more about your predicament. I think the key is to use a needle-nosed pliers to put tension on the spring after putting the one end either into the plate or the handle. You will have to experiment to see which way works best. The handle can be put on after it clears the pin then you should be able to drop it in place and then remove the pliers. Of course the usual caveat about wearing eye protection is important for this one. I would love to test my theory, but as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Let us know if it works.

Regards,

Lew, thanks for giving this some more thought. After letting it sit for a couple days I finally got them together last night! Kind of hard to explain but I'll try....the stud has to be in place for the spring to stay in place, so I engaged the end in the plate and the handle in a position where there was no tension. Then CAREFULLY rotated the handle the correct way for tension moving it up and over the stop pin on the plate (this exercise was repeated many times!). Once in the correct position I clamped the handle/stud, rotated the stud to line up the hole for inserting the drive pin through the handle. (that was clear as mud)

If there is an easier way, I sure couldn't figure it out. You are basically flying blind hoping the spring ends stay in their holes. I was able to sleep good last night knowing that was done. Now on to fitting the rear deck frame to the car and putting the rest of the soft top frame together.

Still havin' fun!

Tim,

I'm pleased you were able to figure out a way to put the spring on. I will be doing a soft top this year (my car didn't have one when I bought it). We may want to share experiences as we go along. I scanned a number of articles from the Early Bird you might find helpful. If you would like, I can email them to you. Let me know.

Lew

Lew,

So far the soft top project has been pretty involved and I only have the frame done! Thanks for the offer of the articles....I have those and also the section in the CTCI Restoration reference manual and also the Trim & Sealer manual. Hopefully all those will help! I will try to post some photos as the project progresses. I'm glad this is the last major item I have left in the restoration. Planning to have it at the Louisville meet in July.

Tim