Reatta Rookie Buying Advice Please???

CaptainKirk

Ladies and Gentlemen: 20 years ago I restored old cars as a hobby -- a '38 Chevy Business Coupe, a '60 Buick Invicta 2 door hardtop and a 1965 International Scout 80. Now that our precious twin daughters are about to graduate from college I am thinking about selling our old reliable '96 Chevy Prism (Corolla) and buying something else that is small but with a lot more comfort for my old bones. Like maybe a Reatta, since I hold Buicks in very high regard. (But used Reattas are so rare in my area (Eastern West Virginia) that I have yet to even drive one.)

From the reading I've done I'm pretty sure I want to buy a 1991 coupe for a number of reasons (engine, transmission & brake upgrades, larger wheels, etc.). But as I look at the ads I am puzzled by a number of things. I would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom you might offer.

• One of the big reasons I favor the 1991 over prior years is my understanding that the power brake system changed in '91 to return to the more traditional and reliable vacuum system that eliminated a problem of sudden loss of brakes. Am I right about this?
  • I tend to put great weight on the mileage of a used car and expect prices to be directly related to mileage. But the Reatta ads I see seem to display almost no such relationship (except for the odd piece with something like 2000 miles). For example, I've seen examples with 40K to 55K miles with asking prices of $3K to $4.5K but many examples with well over 100K miles for well over $10K. What's up with this?
  • By the way, a major factor in my priority on mileage is the idea that an automatic transmission is likely to need replacement -- a major expense relative to the price of the car -- at about 150K miles. Is this expectation accurate for the Reatta?
  • Is there any issue related to performance or reliability on which the 1991 model is LESS favorable than the 1990?
  • I've read that Reatta windshields are no longer available new and are VERY pricey in good used condition. Is there any other particular component that is extremely expensive to renew or replace?

At this early stage of my search I am wanting to find a 1991 coupe in polo green with a 16 way seat, CD player but no sun roof. So if anyone out there who is about finished with one of these and wants it to have a very good home please let me know.

Thanks very much for your help.

Bob Kirk

Slanesville, WV 25444

1. You are correct about the brakes.

2. When I look at a Reatta condition is as, or more important than mileage. I just purchased a 91 coupe with 144k miles with a stack of maintenance records and the car looked every bit like a 30K car. The 3800 engine is almost bullet proof and a well maintained car can go well over 200K. You are looking for a car that was in the 1,200 production range and I think you can expect to pay between $6k and $10K for a nice example. By weary of the cars priced much lower than that. You may well spend more than the difference before all is said and done.

3. A transmission rebuild could run $1,300 but that is true with any car. Again prior owner maintenance and luck have a lot to do with how long a car will go without a problem.

4. I know of nothing that makes the 91 less favorable. On the other hand several things may make it more favorable.

5. Plinkton makes the windshields and when supply is low prices go up. Then they make a run and prices come down. Used ones are not too hard to find but shipping is a problem. Depending of your state laws, I advise carrying comprehensive coverage which is pretty cheap. In SC for example my comp coverage is about $70 per year and there is no deductible on glass. Comp also takes care of fire, theft and deer. Nothing else on the car is terribly expensive or hard to find. Driver side door panels can be a problem to find in good condition.

There is a polo green on lemonfree.com. It has 42K and is located in Ohio. No 16 way or cd player. Pictures are poor quality, but the interior looks pretty shop worn.

Auto trader has a white 91 with flame red interior that I looked at a couple of months back. Nice car but the price was not right for me. Has been for sale for a while and may be negotiable. It is located just into WV off I-77 near the VA line.

Good luck with your search. Just remember you a looking for a low production car and getting in cheap is not always the best idea. You will find the Reatta a joy to drive and very reliable while getting pretty good mileage. If you end up with one, check out the Reatta Division of the Buick Club of America. I can get you set up and you will make quite a few parts connections as a bonus.

Regards and good luck in your search.

Ed