1968 Buick Riveria info needed

29 franklin

A gentleman I know has a 1968 Buick Riveria GS for sale.He is the second owner of 19 years. It has one repaint in original dark green that is flawless.The interior is all original saddle color in perfect cond.He has every piece of documentation since new. The engine compartment is like new.The car has 81,000 original miles.It has brand new tires.The underside is just as clean as the top.No vinyl top. Has AC,AM/FM PS PB This car has never been outside overnight.All original tools and spare never down.He had a minor problem with the 430 heads and changed to 455 heads but looks the same.He said something about the 430s weak spot was in the heads.It has all the stage 1 upgrades.This car is a luxury rocket. Opinions on the worth of the car would be appreciated. He has taken excellent car of this vehicle and it really shows. Thank you

If you can get a picture of the plate on the firewall, it's pretty easy to look up and see what options the car was originally built with. On my 67, the body manual has a page that tells you what the codes mean. Or, someone will help you on this forum. Of course, I would check the VIN #'s to see if everything lines up. Don't remember if the vins were on the heads or not.

Where in NJ? I'm in W Caldwell; if it's not too far Id go with you if you like. I'm no mechanic but 2 sets of eyes are better than one.

Can you post a few pix? There are people on this forum who will be able to help you quickly and accurately.

Sam from N Jersey

400, 430, 455 inch engine from 1968 on:

The engine serial number is on the deck of the block between the two front spark plugs and the right (passenger) exhaust manifold, and the production code number is between the two rear plugs and the exhaust manifold, also on right. The production code for the 1968 430 is PD.

A gentleman I know has a 1968 Buick Riveria GS for sale.He is the second owner of 19 years. It has one repaint in original dark green that is flawless.The interior is all original saddle color in perfect cond.He has every piece of documentation since new. The engine compartment is like new.The car has 81,000 original miles.It has brand new tires.The underside is just as clean as the top.No vinyl top. Has AC,AM/FM PS PB This car has never been outside overnight.All original tools and spare never down.He had a minor problem with the 430 heads and changed to 455 heads but looks the same.He said something about the 430s weak spot was in the heads.It has all the stage 1 upgrades.This car is a luxury rocket. Opinions on the worth of the car would be appreciated. He has taken excellent car of this vehicle and it really shows. Thank you

Yes, sometimes the heads will crack but the oiling system is the weak spot with the 430. What do you mean by all the Stage 1 upgrades? What does this include? Were they dealer installed? Is there any documentation of this extremely rare modification? If so, this may increase the value of the car.

A picture is worth, ...??? - if it has 455 heads, it has been modified and is no longer original. The 455 ci engines were not available in Rivieras till 1970.

On a '68 400, or 430 engine, the numbers that Ed mentions are on the left hand, or driver's side of the engine, NOT on the right.

PS/PB were standard equipment on '68 Rivieras, AC and AM/FM radio were options.

You can also go to the Hagerty website to get an idea of the value of a '68 Riviera GS - overall condition and options are a determining factor.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Are you looking to buy or want to know to give the seller advice? Pics would be most helpful. Chrome wheels? Does it have buckets and shifting console or a bench seat. Was it driven in NJ winters? How's the chrome? Sounds like it could be a nice example. Probably somewhere in the $11k to 16k range. What seller can get will also depend how he plans to market the car. Full blown ebay and internet listings or only a local private sell

He also said something about changing some things with the oil pump. I think a new one with more pressure, As far as I know he found all the parts needed for the stage 1 upgrade and installed all these parts on the car.The car was not driven in NJ winters . The chrome is excellent and never been redone.Has chrome wheels with new tires.Bucket seats with shifting console.I would rate this a no.2 car.He has all the original parts that came off the car when stage 1 upgrades were installed.I am looking to possibly buy the car and looked on a couple of sites.Big differences in numbers. I do not want to overpay but want to be fair with him also. I have no clue how to put pictures on this site.

If you have questions about the engine, there's a guy in Pompton Plains," stage1automotive.com" who has a good rep re buick engines. Just went to his website- although he works on everything, his passion is Buick power. Really cool links to GS Registry as well as other Buick related sites.

He also said something about changing some things with the oil pump. I think a new one with more pressure, As far as I know he found all the parts needed for the stage 1 upgrade and installed all these parts on the car.The car was not driven in NJ winters . The chrome is excellent and never been redone.Has chrome wheels with new tires.Bucket seats with shifting console.I would rate this a no.2 car.He has all the original parts that came off the car when stage 1 upgrades were installed.I am looking to possibly buy the car and looked on a couple of sites.Big differences in numbers. I do not want to overpay but want to be fair with him also. I have no clue how to put pictures on this site.

Sounds like that car could be at the top end for 68 GS's. Still under $20k though but a car is worth whatever the most interested buyer is comfortable paying. I sent you a PM (private message through this site) with my email. I can post pics for you if you want to email them to me.

Jason Zerbini's tag line applies here......."Buy once, cry once, the Quality endures long after the price is forgotten" That car is a masterpiece......Don't know when I saw a 68 Riv look that good......probably in 1968. It's been babied all it's life.....very difficult to find a car cared for like that...

one in 10,000. If you can buy it for less than 30K it's a bargain.

Wow - This appears to be a stunning car. Definitely at the high end.

Wow, very nice. I`m not very familiar with this model year but to any `68 experts...is there something about the interior finishes that is not "factory"? Is it the color of the console? Maybe it is the camera flash affecting shade? What interior trim color is this? I`d really like to see more overall pics which feature the contrast between interior and exterior colors, very striking,

Tom Mooney

Did a few minutes of research re the interior trim color. This must be "buckskin" but I think the camera flash makes the seats and console look much lighter in shade than the true color...or? The dealer book states the carpet, dash, steering wheel and operating console should be buckskin in color but the console and seats almost looks off white in the pic...just curious, VERY nice none the less...

Tom Mooney

Wow, very nice. I`m not very familiar with this model year but to any `68 experts...is there something about the interior finishes that is not "factory"? Is it the color of the console? Maybe it is the camera flash affecting shade? What interior trim color is this? I`d really like to see more overall pics which feature the contrast between interior and exterior colors, very striking,

Tom Mooney

The exterior 'Riviera only' color of Olive Gold Metallic (...Code S), could be had with interior colors of Platinum, White, Buckskin, Champagne, Parchment, or Black.

That full length operating console with a spade-handle shift lever was an extra cost option with the bucket seat interior.

Very hard to tell from the photo posted by Jason, what the actual interior color is - Buckskin is a good guess, but you are correct, the color of the bucket seats and console

do appear to be a lot lighter color Tom. Most likely from the camera flash.

It looks like part of the kick panels, door panels, and windlace are the same color as the console. Any chance there was sort of a two-tone interior? Carpets darker than the rest of the car. I love the color of the seats, but I surely wouldn't want carpets that light.

Ed

According to the '68 Color & Trim Manual, two-tone interiors were not an option Ed, all the components were supposed to be in a matching color.

While there are color variations in different materials, most components usually are a close, reasonable match.

Those seats and console could be replaced or refinished components? - while that is possible, it is also highly unlikely in an unmolested car.

It would be helpful to see a picture of a complete door panel. I could see where a light color, as in the seats, would not be desirable for a dash because of glare off of light colored surfaces. Perhaps only the dash and carpets are the darker color.

WE NEED MORE PICTURES!!! ;)

Ed

My guess is Champagne 70% confidence, or Parchment 50% confidence, Buckskin 30% confidence.

IMHO

FWIW

I believe Champagne is a cloth and vinyl trim. Parchment would have black carpets, dash and steering wheel. The original poster described the interior as saddle (I think?) which would be closer to buckskin. I suspect what appears to be the lighter colors is the result of camera flash in dark ambient lighting. Nice car, more pics!

Tom

From the photo, it has the Custom Strato Vinyl Bucket Seat Interior option Marty, and they were only available in Buckskin, Platinum, Blue, or Black.

So I'm pretty confident Tom picked the right color - Buckskin.

The Custom Cloth and Vinyl Bench seat option was only available in Champagne, or Black.

Guest DRM500RUBYZR1

Boy you guys are really taking shots at my confidence levels today!

You have convinced me that it is indeed Buckskin, although certainly a "lighter Buckskin" than the Corvettes that I am more used to.

My 70 With Pearl Strato Buckets with console has black dash, carpet, kick-panels and console, and is not considered to be two tone.

The oddity then with the 68 is the console, as all else appears correct.

From the little seen in the pictures of the door panels, they seem to match the seats as they should, although more and better pictures would be helpful.

The flash has indeed affected the pictures, but as said earlier the only anomaly is the color of the console.

However, as others also mentioned earlier, the outstanding condition of the car is a testament to it's originality, and it would appear to be typical of factory original.

The interior looks far better with the console matching the seats as opposed to the dash and carpet.

So absent clear proof of a color change, which I would doubt, Buick must have realized that the way it appears was the best choice, and the woodgrain would have looked washed out against a darker console.

It might prove interesting to see the underneath of the console or at least in any openings that are accessible.

So with a .90 confidence level, it's factory original.

With a 1.00 confidence level it is a stunningly beautiful car.

While I personally like the later years darker Green a bit more, this car is simply over the top!

Good luck for a successful buy, and pay the man closer to what it is worth.

Maintaining a car that well deserves top dollar.

Best luck with it once bought.

Don't let it get away!

Thank you for all the info I bought the car. The paperwork says custom interior on the bill of sale. It has a buckskin interior with console.It has stage 1 upgades including camshaft,bigger volume fuel pump and tube,aluminum intake b4b with original carb on top,different setup for vacum advance on dist..The car is just about perfect.

Congratulations; beautiful car.

B4B Edelbrock. Probably the best aftermarket performance intake made for the big block Buick. Besides being a beautiful car, it ought to be a real runner.

I'm assuming that we'll be able to see the car in person at the ROA event in St. Charles, IL the last week of June.

Congrats on your purchase, if you have any questions about the car, please don't hesitate to ask.

I'm just a little partial to 2nd generation Rivieras, especially the '68 models.

Your next purchase should be the GM Manuals for the car, and a membership in the Riviera Owners Association (ROA).

. . . enjoy, and post some pics of that beauty when you get a chance !!