Turn signal problem

jerrykiefer

I have a 90 reatta. The turn signal going left works perfectly but in the right turn position there is no flashing, the turn indicator just stays on. In checking both the front and rear indicator lamps are on steady.

Are there two flasher relays, one for each side or two flasher relays in one can.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

Guest Corvanti

check to see if your emergency flashers work as they should - with all lights flashing that are supposed to. also all brake lights in the rear...

a lot of the time, it's a burned "bright" filament in a rear bulb that causes this to happen. or an overlooked bulb upfront.

here's a chart of the bulbs: http://reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/217-lighting-system/exterior-lights/178-bulb-number-chart

hope this helps!

Guest PontiacDude210

I have the same problem with my 90, after I smacked a bulb in the back too hard installing a tail light. Seems to be related to the rear bulbs being connected properly. If you're not getting connection to one of the bright filaments correctly, it seems to do that. Reminiscent of the 80s firebird.

The problem might be the bulb you are using. There are two styles of the 2057 bulbs. The standard 2057 has a gradual taper where the glass comes out of the base as you can see in the photo on the left. Some of the 2057LL (Long Life) bulbs (might vary by brand) have a bulge at the bottom where the glass comes out of the metal base as you can see in the photo on the right..

On my '88 model the 2057LL with the bulge in the glass keeps the base of the blub from seating properly in the bulb socket. I only list the standard 2057 bulb in the Reatta Store for that reason. It might be a problem that is unique to the '88 models or it might just be a random problem that pops up from one harness to the next. I don't know. Bottom line is if you used 2057LL bulbs for the brake lights in the rear you should try the standard 2057 to see if it cures your problem. Also when you plug the bulb in make sure the metal contact in the bottom of the bulb socket has a slight arch to it so it makes good contact with the bulb. Take note of how the pins on the side of the blub keys into the socket.

post-52331-14314295077_thumb.jpg<-- 2057LL

post-52331-143142950767_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

From the original post......

(1) The turn signal going left works perfectly but in the right turn position there is no flashing

(2) the turn indicator just stays on.

(3) In checking both the front and rear indicator lamps are on steady. Can we assume he means when the turn signal is in the right turn position, since (1) says the left works.

My thinking......

(1) if one side flashes the FLASHER is not the problem since both sides use the same flasher.

This pretty much eliminates the relays etc.

I think it is a defective Turn Signal Switch or bad connection

If the turn signal switch is lighting up the bulbs front and rear there is nothing

wrong with it. All it does is supply power, the flasher makes the bulbs blink. Over the years I've

seen a lot of flashers that would flash one side of the car and not the other due to a slight difference

in the loads on each circuit. Try another flasher.

Also check the ground tabs in each socket on the affected side. Had a 91 Deville years ago in which the ground terminal inside the socket for one of the front turn lamps was broken off and gone entirely. For some reason this caused strange behavior on that side (think it was passenger/right side but doesn't matter) in which the arrow on the IPC stayed on solid except when that sides turn signal was on then it blinked normally. Some kind of sneak circuit as it was 2057 bulb (dual filaments with shared ground) and once I replaced the socket everything worked correctly.

I mention this as it is not a problem you would ordinarily be looking for and is tough to spot.

KDirk

Thanks everybody for the response.

Yes the 4 way flasher works correctly. Could it be the relay under the hood?

I will check the bulbs, I would think if I remove the front bulb the rear would start flashing rapidly if the front socket is the problem.

\Stay tuned\

Thanks again

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...