1931 Chevrolet Independence

Guest dbtimesthree

Guest dbtimesthree

Hi Everyone

On the data plate for a 31 chev sport sedan, is the following information: GM 31569 622R and The word Oshawa. I know that this is a Canadian built car, and the seven digit number on the tag matches the number on the block. Does anyone have the information for deciphering these other numbers. I believe the car should be Boatswain Blue.

Thanks!

DBtimesthree.

Edited by dbtimesthree
spelling mistake (see edit history)

First, I am not real familiar with Canadian models. You may get better results on the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America (VCCA) website.

The 31 in 31569 is for 1931 model year and the 569 is for the body style (i.e. "Special Sedan" for your car). Everything else below is pure speculation on my part.

On US built cars the next number on the tag is the Body Number. For my 1933 Chevrolet it is B3664 which means it was the 3,664th body built that year at the Buffalo, NY factory. Your 622R number may be similar to that, but R is not listed since I only have a listing for US factories. Or for Canadian cars it may be something completely different.

Oshawa is most likely the plant where it was made. GM lists a car assembly plant in Oshawa that opened in 1907, so it must have originally made other GM products.

You may find more information at: http://1931chevrolet.com/specs2.htm

• 2 months later...

I have the 1929 chevrolet. Mine is the international model. R on the engine stamp is for _ right hand drive. The rest of the nos is just the engine no. The nos molded into the egine is different. These nos tell you the month (letter) , the day, and then the year ( which might only be one no I.e. 6 is 1926 or 1936. Hope this helps? Phil