1937 to 1947 BUICK Original AC L-1 Oil Filter Canister and Element.

I have two original AC L-1 Oil Filter Canisters (with new filter elements included) that are correct for 1937-1947 Buick straight 8 engines, all series. The AC L-1 Kleer Klean oil filter canister is shown in the Buick parts book (AC section) from this vintage. Many of these L-1 filters were installed by Buick dealers over the years. I have heard that Buick straight eights shipped to locations on one side of the Mississippi River (don't recall if it was the east or the west side) were factory-equipped with the AC L-1 filter canister. But, I don't know that this information is based in fact. However, it is safe to say that this AC L-1 oil filter canister is correct for the straight eight, whether installed at the factory, or at the dealership.

Both of these canisters come with the original, removable (one machine screw) mounting bracket that goes from the spot-welded canister bracket to the straight eight engine road draft tube thru-bolt. Many of these canisters that I've seen in the past are missing the spot-welded bracket unique to the Buick engine mounting, and almost all no longer have the separate road draft tube bracket. I've also seen guys take a canister similar to the L-1 and mount it to the engine with a metal band (a bit tacky!). There's no doubt that these two canisters and factory brackets are the real deal.

Note that there are two slightly different designs to the two L-1 canisters I have for sale. The silver and black canister has a one-piece body. The greenish canister has a two-piece body (bottom and side). If I had to guess, I would say the one-piece body style was made pre-war, while the two-piece style was a little newer.

Condition-wise, the silver and black canister is in good shape, with no pitting or rust to speak of. The greenish canister has a fair amount of pitting on the canister cover and the cover bolt. These will need to be filled. The sides of this unit are good. I suspect this canister came from a salvage yard car whose hood was left open over the years, and snow and rain gathered on the top.

I will include a new Wix filter element with each of these canisters. The element comes with a new canister lid gasket. The buyer will need to make up the two metal tubing oil lines that run between the engine and the oil filter canister.

These original AC L-1 Kleer Klean filter canisters are priced at $125 each, plus the actual cost of shipping. Choose one or both, depending on your needs. Thanks for looking. John

post-31491-143142948935_thumb.jpg

post-31491-143142948939_thumb.jpg

post-31491-143142948942_thumb.jpg

post-31491-143142948944_thumb.jpg

post-31491-143142948946_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)