How hard is it to find parts for a 1959 STUDEBAKER Silver Hawk

Guest Will C

Still looking for my 50 era car. Im looking at a 1959 Studebaker Silver Hawk. How hard is it to find replacement parts for it if something should go bad on it?

Here is an ad on the AACA Buy/Sell forum:

,have lots of parts for 50 s larks some gt hawk stuff a little pu stuff, also whole cars for sale for you needs , call s only 8am to 7pm central time 417 831 1980 if no answer leave me a massage what you are calling about & your # i will call you asap.

Actually you will find that Studebaker parts are usually readily available. There are many vendors and other Studebaker people who will be happy to help out.

Studebaker International is the largest vendor and their catalog is online. Join the Studebaker Drivers Club to start making contacts. There are still a lot of NOS parts around. As 58 Mustang said mechanical parts are plentiful. Go for it.

Actually you will find that Studebaker parts are usually readily available. There are many vendors and other Studebaker people who will be happy to help out.

Studebaker International is the largest vendor and their catalog is online. Join the Studebaker Drivers Club to start making contacts. There are still a lot of NOS parts around. As 58 Mustang said mechanical parts are plentiful. Go for it. Also get on the Studebaker Drivers Club forum. This forum is geared to prewar cars while the SDC forum is geared to post war. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum.php If this doesn't work do a search.

Edited by SMB (see edit history)

One of the nice things about Studebaker cars is that, even though they made styling changes, there were few changes mechanically over the years. This was primarily due to economics. Studebaker didn't have the money that the "big three" had to make significant changes. So you'll find many parts that'll fit your Stude. Of course, trim parts are extremely difficult to find. That also goes for the most popular cars. By the way, the '59 Studebakers had the Borg Warner automatic transmissions installed. They are rugged and wear well.

Good luck with your decision.

Rog

Not to mention... nearly every chapter has at least one guy with a big Studebaker salvage yard, or a couple barns full of Studebaker parts. My chapter has two guys! Join the SDC, then join the nearest chapter - you'll be good.

Guest 2moredoors
Silver Hawk used the flathead six which is reliable and easy to fix but rather underpowered. Was a V8 option available? Or was that Golden Hawk only?

In 1959 there was no Golden Hawk however there was a 259 cu in V8 offered for the Silver Hawk. The Studebaker Corp offered the larger 289 cu in engine again in 1960.

Guest AlCapone

When I am considering adding another car to my collection I research the availability of replacement parts. The first thing I do is search Ebay and secondly I check with a local car club. I have a couple very rare cars and let me tell you that getting parts made at a machine shop is an expensive proposition !

Wayne

Guest 2moredoors

When I am considering adding another car to my collection I research the availability of replacement parts. The first thing I do is search Ebay and secondly I check with a local car club. I have a couple very rare cars and let me tell you that getting parts made at a machine shop is an expensive proposition !

Wayne

I know what you mean. I needed a part for the transmission for one of my cars (not rare). The transmission shop wanted a minimum of $100.00 to set up the lathe work at their machine shop, plus materials and labour. I found a transmission supply shop in Ohio who claim they can supply parts for any "America Made" car. Cost of part including shipping less than $40.00