Is there such a thing as a Continental 6Y General service manual

Guest AlCapone

If anything like you want was issued the profe$$ional auto literature dealers would have some; you might query them (the only one that comes to mind is autolit, who think highly of everything they have, but they have a monumental inventory)...if anything turned up, but was financially out of reach, you'd at least know what to look for...

There are some on EBay, generally for later engines (N,Y,F etc) and specialty engines, but I didn't go thru the 400+ listings---lots of later TM and aero, plus Lincoln Cont'ls...

There're pathetic little 6x9 24 or so page Op Manuals covering later L Heads, better than nothing, but don't know if issued for older models...

On any inquiries remember the apparent 6Y/7U/10U connection; something on one of those (the 7U is probably the most likely, but I have no idea what the 10U went into, and it could well be the highest production of the three) could well be better than nothing again...

I have nothing on Carbs; you might try, as a shot in the dark, McDonald Carb & Ign or Carbs Inc, who might have old carb ref books...

Guest AlCapone

I have contacted 4 of the literature people and supposedly I am on their contact list. I did not find any of the 4 very receptive. It seems like they want a title and author rather than them doing research. Thanks for your advice, it is very much appreciated. Wayne

Wayne - the Continental 6Y used at least the following carburetors:

Stromberg - O-1, OA-1, OE-1

Zenith - ST4, T4X

I have factory documentation that these were used. Other manufacturers may also have been used, but I have no documentation on any other carbs for the 6Y.

Bud - I have no record of the 10U, but there was a 7Z.

Adding the 7U adds the Stromberg R-1 and Zenith SV4 to the list of carburetors used

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

JON: My apologies for not including you as a Carb reference. I've seen your helpful comments on other threads, and will try to be more considerate in the future...

The 10U is shown in 30 McCrd and 38 Victor gasket catalogs as being the same b/s as the 6Y-7U and using the some gaskets listed...other engine parts catalogs how some (but not all) parts mutuality between Early and Late 6Y, Early and Late 7U with 10U and the 7Z, apparently either all members of the same "family" or perhaps gradual upgrades/modifications of the same basic engine...

As listed in the other Cardwell threads, I apparently eyeballed some of my older catalogs, but all I find now is what's in the two gasket catalogs mentioned...

The 10U first shows up in the 1930 gasket catalog, as mentioned; of the parts catalogs I've indexed, up into 80s, last mention is in a 44/45 Sealed Power, which shows:

Piston Ass'bly: no 6Y; late 7U (after 41897) sharing with 10U. 7Z and a 6W...

Valves: late 6Y (after #10500) sharing with 7U, 7Z, 10U and that 6W...

The 10U may well've been a very low production variant only listed because it shares some parts with the more popular models/variants.

WAYNE: Out of time; will try to run down break for early/late 6Y and advise.

WAYNE: Vehicles I found using the 6Y and/or 6Y-7U combination are:

Anderson ---41---23-25;

Auburn---6-43---23-25

Barley---Light 6-50---22-25

Columbia---Light 6---22-24

Davis---70, 71, 72, 90??---22-26

Hanson---50---22-23 (6y only)

Moon---6-40, Newport??----22-25

Star (as shown by Machinist Bill above)---no model listed---23-24

Others used the 7U up into 1927 per what I found.

A 1936 King Products catalog (piston ass/bly, valves, bearings) shows a valve change in the 6Y at engine # 10500 (to #10500 and after #10500)

It also shows rod insert bearings were then available to replace poured...

JON: Found a couple ref's for the 10U

Hertz---D1---1926-28

Yellow Cab---D1--1925-26...altho the Hertz listed as pass car, was probably also a cab since the model # the same...

Guest AlCapone

Thank you Bud and Bill. Your efforts are truly appreciated and I will forward the information to my mechanic. He works the tools like a magician but unfortunately the computer is not his expertise. Thanks once again for your enselfish help. Wayne

Bud - thanks. Interesting to note that Yellow Cab used Zenith carbs as original equipment during this time period; and the Zenith prints show the Yellow D-1 from 1924~1926 used the Continental 7U engine. Zenith does not list an original equipment carb for 1927 D1. Possibly the engine was changed at that time. Of course Yellow had merged with G.M.C. with John Hertz having some control and the 1927 cab was named Yellow Hertz.

Would be nice to have a program so we could identify the players ;)

Jon.

• 1 month later...

al

i have a 6Y, 7R, 7U and a 20L and maybe i can be of some help. They are in Davis and Derby cars and have some literature depending on what you need. I am also looking for some parts for the 7U starter, generator/dist combo and ignition. You can send me an email and we can talk.

thanks,

jim davis

al

i have a 6Y, 7R, 7U and a 20L and maybe i can be of some help. They are in Davis and Derby cars and have some literature depending on what you need. I am also looking for some parts for the 7U starter, generator/dist combo and ignition. You can send me an email and we can talk.

thanks,

jim davis

hi, what parts do you have reference 7R ? thanks, keith

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I have a 6y in my Columbia! Have found dykes manual/ available on line/ very useful!  Egged has a piston e/145 that is the correct size! Had to trim the top down and sleeve the wrist pin and most importantly !!!!!!!! Drill a small hole from the oil ring slot down into the wrist pin for lubrication

• 1 year later...

Hi

Does anyone have a 6Y or a 7U Continental parts motor ? Looking for a head and crank shaft.

My restoration project car - a 1920 Davis has a Continental 7R motor and I have been corresponding with a fellow owner in New York ( I am in New Zealand ). He has been a wonderful source of information , provider of manuals , advice etc.  So I want to return the favour if I can ( he is not a member of AACA ).