More Hoard Photos

Guest joelonzello

Guest AlCapone

Every day the worth is less and less whereas it could be more and more. Sure makes you wonder what this type of individual is thinking. Whatever it is logic is not part of the process. Wayne

Guest joelonzello
Every day the worth is less and less whereas it could be more and more. Sure makes you wonder what this type of individual is thinking. Whatever it is logic is not part of the process. Wayne

We wanted to buy something, anything even a grill but no go. We spoke with property neighbors & they said they had been looking at the collection all their lives !post-106047-143142948814_thumb.jpgLots of potential Wall Art there & plenty of hard to find doodads.

Guest joelonzello

post-106047-14314294882_thumb.jpg

Garages & small outbuildings filled with parts & alot of vehicles hidden under tarps & garbage. Hoarders.....go figure

Guest AlCapone

and possibly the part someone has been seeking for years is in there and they can't finish their car because of the hoarders greediness .

Wayne

Guest Oldschoolfull

It's so disheartening seeing all of them just sitting there, rotting away, and seemingly no possibility of anyone being able to rescue them...ever. What a shame!!

Guest joelonzello
post-106047-143142949134_thumb.jpg You never know what will turn up or where. Some guy in Texas just sold aircraft from the Battle of Britain Movie & they are the real deal. Sitting in a hangar since late 60's.

and possibly the part someone has been seeking for years is in there and they can't finish their car because of the hoarders greediness .

Wayne

Greediness? I don't see anyone getting rich here......

As a hoarder myself I can understand why he doesn't sell anything just because others thinks he should. Those cars are his life. Money is not his objective. All you can do is wait until he passes and hope something is left for the estate sale.

(My stuff is safely hid inside nice barns)

Guest AlCapone

As a hoarder myself I can understand why he doesn't sell anything just because others thinks he should. Those cars are his life. Money is not his objective. All you can do is wait until he passes and hope something is left for the estate sale.

Yes and possibly when you are dead and buried the stuff will be sold to a trash dealer and lost to the hobby forever and what a shame that would be. I myself like to help my fellow man and I will share and help wherever I can. My philosophy is do unto others as you would have them do unto you. You need not give it away but in my opinion you should sell for a fair price. Wayne

Guest joelonzello
I love junk yards or someone that save the cars.. Why I got my Darrin rear end from one of those guys...

Sitting in his back yard since 1963...

I had a great little junkyard close to home in San Diego. One day I swung by and found a TR4 had just arrived. I opened the hood and there was a Japanese engine with 2 huge side draft carbs. I ran home to get some tools and when I returned two young guys had removed them & were heading to the payment window ! San Diego junkyards were clean & awesome. Found a Heinkle once. I drove Opels for ten years and could always find parts.

Guest joelonzello

EPA is a bigger concern & it's Eminent Domain. At one time Town asked that cars parked in view of major road be removed according to neighbors. Old timers I've spoken with remember the cars out front years ago.....

Yes and possibly when you are dead and buried the stuff will be sold to a trash dealer and lost to the hobby forever and what a shame that would be. I myself like to help my fellow man and I will share and help wherever I can. My philosophy is do unto others as you would have them do unto you. You need not give it away but in my opinion you should sell for a fair price. Wayne

Actually my plan is to retire and play with all my junk and then sell it off if I need cash. Sometimes life changes those plans and you kick the bucket too soon. My daughter has explicit instructions to have an auction on everything that's left and to invite everyone on my forums.

Yes. Hoarders are good for the hobby. It keeps the trash dealers out of it and keeps it in the hobby. Try to think of everything you have purchased at an estate sale! Great source of parts!

Thanks Wayne for this good conversation!

Bill

Guest AlCapone

Bill I hope you enjoy a long and happy life and you get to play with your stuff. At least you have a plan for it.

Enjoy my friend ! Wayne

I guess at this point I have to ask a question....

Do you have permission to be on this property? Or will this be like "Imminent Domain" for hoarder cars?

Exactly: These cars belong to that family; and from what I gather, they are on the family property.

What right do we have to call another person's "collection" a hoard? Yes I understand they are deteriorating at an accelerated pace; but the owner probably paid for them at some time.

I suppose it depends on one's perspective; and many of us , in the eyes of non-automotive people; are considered hoarders. How many of us have a parts car, hanging around somewhere, or even a bin full of old parts. To non-automotive people; that may be hoarding.

How many times have you had people "Non automotive" at your garage or home and they commented on one of your old machines, whether all original, restored or a parts car; and they said," Why don'y you sell that, Don't you know how much it is worth". Of course they probably are confused to say the least. They just don't get the idea that it is NOT For Sale.

We enjoy things at differently, and vintage machines are no different.

Digging around someone's property may be an intrusion; even if they say, "Yes, you can look around; but don't tell anybody else. Yeah Right!

I am not taking a position here; just showing that there in another side to "finding somebody's stash"

intimeold

Edited by intimeold (see edit history)

What's the difference between a "Collector" and a "Hoarder'?

Just wonderin',

Grog

Nethercutt, Leno, Harrah are/were collectors. This guy is a hoarder. No protection from the elements, no real intent to fix any of them, has never restored a car in his life, refuses to sell, even a cotterpin, because he will need it "someday"

Guest joelonzello
Wonder what the blue plastic barrels are for ?

Wait,,,, I don't want to know :eek:

It's good to be afraid.......Cars are in New Jersey !

I would call the airplanes a collection, not a hoard. Well sheltered in a safe environment and the owner decided to sell them all. I'm sure if you were friends with the owner and needed a part to keep your old plane running and he had a spare it could be purchased. He was/is a successful business man. You rarely get to be that way by being a recluse hoarder.

I knew of a wrecking yard full of old cars near a small city. The owner had actually quit selling off parts and was making good money selling whole cars (or what was left of them) when he unfortunately passed. The family was going to auction off the remaining cars after his death, but the city stepped in and put a stop to the sale. They didn't want the "derelicts" all over the city. When I lived there I had to sign annual affidavits that my unlicensed cars were being worked on. Those cars were all crushed.

Actually my plan is to retire and play with all my junk and then sell it off if I need cash. Sometimes life changes those plans and you kick the bucket too soon. My daughter has explicit instructions to have an auction on everything that's left and to invite everyone on my forums.

Yes. Hoarders are good for the hobby. It keeps the trash dealers out of it and keeps it in the hobby. Try to think of everything you have purchased at an estate sale! Great source of parts!

Thanks Wayne for this good conversation!

Bill

Bill- we'll probably see you one day on "American Pickers" except you'll send them down the road empty-handed!!!

• 2 weeks later...

A elderly friend of mine called me today wanting to remove a car from his back yard and store it because his house has been condemned as unsafe. (hoarder)

The city is going to take it tomorrow!.

I went to see it and explained that would cost more to move it and store it than its worth. I asked if he wanted to sell anything in the house before the city takes it in less than 20 hours. (He has a full machine shop in the basement and tons of tools) he said NO, he would look around later today and see if he wanted to sell anything and let me know.

I tried to help him out even though I really don't need anything, but he just won't realize that it will all be gone tomorrow.

Thank goodness for the hoarder or was that collector! Which of the detractors hear think that any of these cars would have survived without this guy's intervention? These were not high dollar cars when they were moved here. In fact most might have been one step away from the scrapper when he got them. Remember Lady Bird Johnson's America beautification project in the 60's, and the extinction of the urban wrecking yards as they gave way to urban sprawl. Most of the yards that survived became not much more then stopping off place for cars like these on their way to becoming scrap to make new Toyotas. This guy, and people like him, spent their money, used their own time and had the space to store these cars otherwise these cars, along with this thread would not exist today.

I have friends and acquaintances wanting to take out a contract on me after I've told them that they'll have to deal with my heirs if they want to purchase anything of mine.

I believe the right side picture is 1938 Ford (missing the headlight buckiets.

I'm enjoying the Forums. Sharing a few more pics of Hoard discovered last May This place is Rat Rod heaven !

I believe the right side picture is 1938 Ford (missing the headlights).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]292249[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]292250[/ATTACH]

How do YOU decide what Bill or I or anyone else should sell and what we can keep? Do onto others? Would YOU want others to decide what you should sell? Who put you in charge? I think it's YOUR greed that makes you want what others have and you can't, simply because they won't sell it to you. How kind of you, allowing him to sell his stuff for a fair price versus giving it away.

Edited by JerryVan (see edit history)

I can't fathom the hoarder mentality.

Sadly they are everywhere.

They won't fix them though some SAY they're going to "someday", they won't cover them or move them to protect them from further deterioration and no matter how poor some of them may be money doesn't figure into anything........I think it's a mild form of insanity.......I really do.

About 13 miles away from my home is a farm at the end of a long driveway.

In his yard are a bunch of muscle cars of the same make arranged in a circle........where they sit 24/7/365......sinking into the ground.

Some might call that yard art........I call it nuts.

Guest AlCapone
Unlabeled plastic barrels in a junkyard in NJ. Not open to the public, nothing for sale. Sounds like the start of the next episode of "The Pickers".

if you still watch The Pickers that makes you likely the entire audience ! Never has a show lost its popularity so quickly. Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

I can't fathom the hoarder mentality.

Sadly they are everywhere.

They won't fix them though some SAY they're going to "someday", they won't cover them or move them to protect them from further deterioration and no matter how poor some of them may be money doesn't figure into anything........I think it's a mild form of insanity.......I really do.

About 13 miles away from my home is a farm at the end of a long driveway.

In his yard are a bunch of muscle cars of the same make arranged in a circle........where they sit 24/7/365......sinking into the ground.

Some might call that yard art........I call it nuts.

Not everybody enjoys things the same way we do. Many years ago, my dad asked an old farmer if an old hit & miss engine that was literally half buried in the ground might be for sale. He was told in no uncertain terms that as long as he was alive, that engine would stay right there. He further explained that he remembered the day his dad bought the engine, how he, as a boy, ran it and what it was used for. Every time he saw it, it reminded him of those days, which seemed to give him some pleasure. It didn't matter what condition it was in now, it just mattered what it represented.

I guess he must have been insane too, because he wasn't enjoying the old engine the way he was supposed to.

Leave people alone. Let them enjoy what they've got in their own way. Just because you can't fathom it doesn't make them insane, (or you sane for that matter).

I have a 31 xxxxxx that had a rusted grille and I was looking for one with better chrome on it.

It took about a year before I found one on E bay and I went overboard in buying it as I didn't want to lose it.

After buying it, someone got in touch with me and wanted to buy the old one as he was also biding on it and he had been looking for two years to replace his missing grille.

I didn't want to sell it in case I had an accident and needed to replace it. He wasn't too happy that I had two and he had none.

Does that make me a hoarder?

Sorry Roger and Jerry but we seem to be outnumbered. I have been a hoarder (Collector) since I was 5. My parents were depression kids and NEVER threw anything away. (Saved it 'cause we might need it one day) I come by this honestly. Here is my take on all of this:

Rich Folk - They can hoard (Collect) all the restored cars and parts they want and everyone says "How Wonderful".

Working Man - He enjoys the same thrill of owning a hoard (Collection) but is called names because they are not restored. Everyone says "What an eyesore".

Rich Folks cars have always been out of my league ever since I can remember. Thats ok I am not jealous. The problem now is that the cars I hoarded (Collected) 40 + years ago have now become "Rich Folks" cars. They don't like people like myself owning those vehicles. (I am not worthy) and it irritates the heck out of them! I have to admit it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling everytime that happens.

Just a simple Indiana man having fun on the forums! Gosh I love old cars!