Buick Hellcat: In The Belly of the Beast

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

Another AMAZING day volunteering at the Buick Gallery! Today, I crawled down into the belly of a Buick Hellcat tank from WWII and worked on the batteries. I also took a little break while I was in there and played with the controls. What boy hasn't dreamed of playing with a tank?? Little snug in there for a "boy" my size! I can't believe that there was a 3 man crew inside that turret during the war. Two drivers up front as well. They must have recruited short, skinny guys for the tank crew. Lol. Just sitting in that seat, touching those controls, looking out that scope, and being surrounded by all that heavy, man-made steel was awe inspiring. I can't even imagine the courage it took for those soldiers to roll out on the battle field in that beast. I have much, much respect for those guys!

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qh2gIXPet0E" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M0O6g3msLzc" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

Way cool. Kid in a candy store comes to mind.

My my nephew had posted on Facebook a while back about wanting a Hellcat and I responded that it was cool that he wanted a Buick built M-18 tank destroyer and commended him on upgrading on the Mopars that his uncles on the other side have corrupted him to.