57 Buick Clock knob Help

Brandon Todd

Hello,

Does anyone know how to remove the time-setting knob on a 57 Special Clock? I have the clock out of the car and trying to get it apart, (clock isn't ticking). I've heard people say you pull the stem out, hold it with pliers, and then twist the knob counter-clockwise fast. Whenever I do that though the clock hands just move. I've also heard that you just pry the knob off, it's not screwed on. But I am not having much luck with that either.

Thank you for your help!

If it's anything like other GM clocks that I've seen, you remove the back, get a good grip on the stem with a pair of pliers, then twist the knob counter clockwise.

If the clock is a manual spring clock that winds when a charge is put to it, you might be able to get it running by putting a couple of drops of oil on the gears, spin the gears a few times with your fingers, then file the points to get rid of any corrosion. 12V will wind the main spring, separate the contacts, and the clock will run for about 30 seconds before the contacts meet and 12V resets everything for another 30 seconds or so.

Ed

Might add that I have read, where apparently the 57 Buick Clocks, were very new in regards to clock design unlike what came before for the times and are delicate pieces. Therefore the shop manual has specific steps one must take when dealing with them. It is also important to remove the clock's fuse from the fuse panel before attempting any type of removal or service and there is a specific procedure for returning the fuse and power back to the clock or risk harming the clock's internal mechanism which may already be the cause of infliction in your unit.

I guess I should ask peoples opinion on this picture before I set out looking for a parts clock. Does anybody think this piece can be soldered together? It's been broke in half. It's the metal arm piece that holds a point. If it can be soldered, it'll save me some time and money.

Thanks!

post-104443-143142948822_thumb.jpg

Nope. Make a new one out of phosphor bronze or in a pinch from spring steel. Steel strapping will work fine. Anneal just the very ends to drill the holes for the rivet and contact. The contact could be problematic but where there's a will etc etc etc................Bob