Water pump lunched already? 1940 248

Daves1940Buick56S

About 2 years ago I swapped out the water pump when I did the replaced the radiator. It's a rebuilt from Bob's and it seemed fine when I put it in. I have probably run it about 30 or so engine hours - not enough miles yet to bother counting. So today as I was working my carb/choke issues I heard what sounded like an intermittent squeal (not like a belt squeal, more like a bearing getting ready to fail) coming from the front of the motor. This is about at 450 rpm. If I increased rpm it seems to go away. So I got a wooden rod and placed it against various components and took a listen, and confirmed that it's definitely coming from the pump. Is this pump already on its last legs? I don't really want to rush out and replace it but I don't want it stranding me either. Thoughts? Wait to see if it gets worse?

Cheers, Dave

Dave,

Squirt some WD-40 on the belt to confirm it is not the belt, OR the generator.

Having been to "Bob's" in California, I found them to be "stand up folks", so if you confirm it is the pump, I would call them and press for a replacement unit.

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Cars that are used infrequently do suffer from what appears to be early part failure. Water pump seals will tend to stick to the mating part or just rust if allowed to sit over time and if the coolant is just tap water it can aggravate the problem. Fuel pump diaphragms harden and weaken and brake cylinders can rust prematurely. Drive your car and it will be happy, let it sit and it will demand attention.

When I look at an older car that has been sitting and the owner say that he replaced the fuel pump or water pump just before parking the car 1-10 years ago I can expect the parts to either not work or fail in days.