Overhaulin' a 1955 T-Bird

1957Birdman

As you may be aware, the Velocity channel has as one of its feature shows “Overhaulin’”. This hour long program displays the considerable talents of Chip Foose and his crew of merry “resto-modders”. There is the obligatory pretty woman (Arianny Celeste) to maintain the interest of the men watching the show. If you haven’t seen it, the premise is to turn someone’s ordinary or clapped out car into a thing of beauty. This last week the car attacked by the Foose crew was a well-worn 1955 Thunderbird. Knowing the premise of the show, I was not optimistic that the hour would detail a straight restoration back to the car’s glorious Raven Black beauty. Since this car spent its life in California, it suffered from very little if any rust, making the resto-mod somewhat easier. There were many dents and bondo that needed to be dealt with to prep the body for painting. When the smoke cleared, the following items didn’t make the cut: 292 Y-Block engine, 3 spd stick with overdrive, original front suspension and steering, rear axle, and steering wheel. Replacing them were a 302 crate motor mated to an automatic transmission, Fat Boy clip with rack and pinion steering, new rear axle with disk brakes, dual master cylinder, and wood grained steering wheel. They added custom wheels, removed the front and rear bumper guards, and installed a killer stereo system and tasteful custom interior. The result was a tasteful update of a car that is hard to improve on. I can’t get excited about mods that require major structural changes and it is a shame that this car will probably never be restored to factory original. To each his own…at least the owner was happy with the result.

I saw the show hoping I would get a tip or two on the restoration of my 55. Instead I saw them ruin a 55. The front and rear bumpers that they destroyed are one of the reasons I love mine so much. They put the exhaust under the bumper, I guess they though it was a mustang (no offence to mustang owners). And to see them put an automatic tranny in a stick car, oh my god, I'm still crying. The least they could have done is sent me the tranny they took it out. They chopped out the front suspension, and removed.......oh well, its only original once. The car was beautiful when they finished, I do have to say they did a great job, I commend them. But, if they would have done that to my car I'm not sure how I would have responded when I got it back. I don't think they would want to be filming me at that time.

Keep up the good work Chip, but don't ask a mans wife about what he wants in his car. When she says "Put an automatic in it, so I can drive it"; you put in a stick with as many gears as you possibly can, so she cant drive it.

Guest slumlord44

Did not see that one yet but I do watch it occasionally. I would NEVER let them do what they do to my car. I want my car the way I want it, not built to someone else's idea of what it should be.

I sped through a clip on youtube seeing what it was to start with and what it ended up like. If I were spending the amount of money they might have, I would have restored it and not modded it like they did. I think now it's a pig with lipstick. What a waste.

• 2 weeks later...
They changed the drivetrain, wheels, changed the upholstery, and painted it a non original color. I always referred to cars like that as Cuban Taxis.

We have this show here too, inhad see it the last time mybe 5 years ago ...

I think in many cases they kill the souls of the most of the cars there ..

also with this T-Bird ..

-- Now this Bird are dead --

( ...pig with lipstick is good .. LOL )

• 7 months later...
Guest Melt1968.mt

I'm a chick and I completely agree! Low profiles on a Classic car? My husband disagreed with me but I say they ruined that car. Modify a freaking regular car....not a Classic. Those types of cars, in my opinion, should always be restored to stock and for the love of all that is Holy, please put some mags on those cars and ditch the low profiles. They look hideous. Just one chick's opinion fellas!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Im so sick of seeing these arrogant “self-appointed” butchers mutilate original cars!  Wish to see REAL craftsmen at work?  Go to “Roads Less Traveled”  restoration shop on YouTube.  No tramp-stamped bearded hillbillies with foul mouths.

Edited by John_Mc (see edit history)