Need a Speedometer Gear - R10 Overdrive

I am installing a Borg Warner R10 overdrive in my '32 Studebaker Dictator. Install of the mid 40's vintage BW OD is going well, but I am missing the speedometer driven (small) gear and attachment hardware. If anyone has the gear, I would appreciate at least borrowing it to have a new one made. The drive gear on the R10 is a 5 tooth, so with 525/550 standard 18" tires (30 1/4" diameter), the ideal would be a 17 tooth driven gear. I have found one 17 tooth gear, but the pitch is wrong. Any help, advice, or direction would be appreciated!

- Rick

I am pretty sure those drive gears are standard across most (all?) Borg Warner trannies. You might have to change the drive gear inside the transmission to get the ratio you need to work. There are also speedometer shops that can make up a ratio converter box that will get you any ratio you might need. Here is one:

http://www.speedometershop.com/ratio.html

Hopefully someone can chime in who knows more about this than I do.

Nathan

Most vendors have parts inventoried by part numbers.

There are many 17 teeth speedometer pinions part numbers but all are different.

Give us a part number and you may find one.

Do you have the original gear?

Robert Kapteyn

That is where my mystery is, Robert. There is a 5 tooth drive gear on the shaft, which is where I calculate that I need a 17 tooth driven pinion - but I suspect there may be different pitches. It looks like it is a Ford style speedometer connection to the case, and the Ford pinion holder fits the hole. At this point, those are the clues I have to go by.

- Rick Larrick

Robert (or anyone else who might help) -

I suspect the 5 tooth pinion in the OD is Studebaker part 1688233, and thus the closest proper pinion would be Studebaker part 520087 ( I may also be able to use 520089).

- Rick Larrick