Wanted Plymouth 1949 convertible

Hi and Hello,

I am totally new here and still I want your help.

I have decided upon my next car for purchase: It shall be a 1949 Plymouth convertible. For various reasons that I am more than happy to discuss.

I am obviously scanning the net for offers, but yet with rather little success.

What am I looking for: Close to stock and in best as possible shape.

Thank you very much for your help.

Thom

Dave, where did you get those photos of the red one and the green one? I know those cars well, they're owned by a friend of mine. I sold the red one when I was with my old dealership, but I don't think the green one ever came to market. Those photos are in his shop, do you know him? Small world!

Dave, where did you get those photos of the red one and the green one? I know those cars well, they're owned by a friend of mine. I sold the red one when I was with my old dealership, but I don't think the green one ever came to market. Those photos are in his shop, do you know him? Small world!

Matt

I did a Google search for a 49 Plymouth convertible. Only reason That I did search, I thought below 20G was low. Do not know any of the owners, may have hauled them maybe.

You should be able to buy the nicest one in the world for under 20k. I have seen decent drivable ones for 10k or so. Dependable, easy to find parts but not a burner on the highway. I drove a Special Deluxe in High School.

Hi, thanks for your remarks.

Yes, dependable they are. And you are absolutely right - no highway burners. I just previously sold my P15 Business Coupe. With a family extension just having one bench just isn't enough anymore. Unfortunately, because the P15 Business Coupe style I really like the most. Actually, I also find P15 convertibles "better looking". But they simply haven't got enough space in the rear seat area.

In terms of highway burner potential I am intending to install an OD in my next car. Will not enhance the top speed obviously, but will make highway driving a bit more comfortable.

Beautiful cars. Couldn't find any for sale on the net search. Watch the auctions, you never know!!

Honestly, I am a Mopar fan. The P15 series - as already indicated - I certainly like the most. The 1950 convertible certainly looks a bit beefier, but the fin aspect of the 49 model I find quite appealing.

And yes, I have to admit, if I could I would go for a Chrysler convertible. But certainly not in my price range.

Matt

I did a Google search for a 49 Plymouth convertible. Only reason That I did search, I thought below 20G was low. Do not know any of the owners, may have hauled them maybe.

Dave, you are absolutely right. I expect a very good to good convertible to go for the high 20s also. And that is what I am willing to invest. There actually is one on offer on craiglist on the east cost (would be better for me), but that would need a lot of work done. Unfortunately.

Blue car sold at Mecum for 23.000 3 years ago-54.000 miles

Yellow car sold at BJ 2 years ago for 23.000

[ATTACH=CONFIG]291870[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291871[/ATTACH]

Thank you all for your "internet inspirations". Those I have found also and I have activated google alert to help my search. So I should "read" about any new offerings coming up. But - so I believe - very often good quality cars never actually show up on the internet as they are being sold directly.

So, maybe if you hear something do let me know. Thom

Here is a teaser-to new.

1966 Plymouth Fury-nice CA car in my area. 14.5000. Yes, I do work on these cars. we have about 30+cars and trucks from 1933 to 1968. I took these at our garage. Building a 34 Dodge pick up for a customer and working brakes and trans on a 57 Chry Imp at this time.

post-78906-143142944427_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142944324_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142944337_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142944347_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142944359_thumb.jpg

post-78906-14314294437_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142944382_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142944394_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142944405_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142944416_thumb.jpg

Here is a teaser-to new.

1966 Plymouth Fury-nice CA car in my area. 14.5000. Yes, I do work on these cars. we have about 30+cars and trucks from 1933 to 1968. I took these at our garage. Building a 34 Dodge pick up for a customer and working brakes and trans on a 57 Chry Imp at this time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]291897[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291898[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291899[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291900[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291901[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291902[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291903[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291904[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291905[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291906[/ATTACH]

Certainly nice, but just not my cup of tea :-) Feels like driving an almost too new car :-) And I do like the 40s style simply that bit more.

Edited by thomba49 (see edit history)

By the way: Have just noticed that the green one is now also on sale (probably at your old place: vintage motor cars?). But I must say: the colour combination of green, red interior and beige top is kind of akward to say the least :-) But than, it is always in the eye of the beholder, isn't?

Edited by thomba49 (see edit history)

Guest 1952NewYorkerconvertible

thanks for the bump but I believe. auburnseeker has a closer match-

. Ask me about a 48 Plymouth Convertible that's road ready, well sorted that needs a paint job that I can't get 15,000 for with 90 percent new chrome, tires top and interior

Thank you very much for your support. I actually saw this car before. And yes, it could be a beauty. After all, my P15 Business Coupe almost looked the same given that mine was also in a light cream colour shade. But they are simply a tiny bit too tight in the back-seat area. And as I have to pack to kids in the back as well - at least occasionally - the 1949 world is simply more spacious. :-)