ID on a car to help date a photo!

Guest jancfrijters

Guest jancfrijters

Hi everyone,

I have a photo found in the wall of my family home (a century home dating from 1845). Does anyone here have a potential ID of the car in this photo. To be completely frank we are looking to use the car to date the photo, not vice-versa! Also found nearby was a list of car holdings at the estate, but again, no date. I've also attached a picture of this document.

Happy hunting!

Jan.

post-105938-143142943825_thumb.jpg

post-105938-143142943816_thumb.jpg

Whatever the make of the car is, it is not earlier than 1933. Is that a truck of some sort next to the barn - at the far end of the machinery shed? If it is it looks to be at least later 1930s or even WW2 era. I wonder if a farm machinery expert can work out what that machine is in the shed near the bottom of the photo.

Hmmm....it is fuzzy but that truck looks like it could be 36-38ish. I think the farm implement is likely a stationary engine mounted on a trailer so the horses could move it around. It appears to be a flywheel on the side. Farms without steam engines would use them to run threshing machines and other implements prior to the takeover of the common tractor. Going back to horses wasn't uncommon in the dirty 30's, nor up here during the war years for that matter. I'll take the Overland Roadster for $450 though...