1960 generator issues

buick5563

Hi guys.

Over the last few years, a friend has been chasing an electrical gremlin on his 60 Electra. Two years ago, he replaced the generator and regulator. A few months ago, I had to go through this again, only this time replacing the battery, as well. The last generator rebuild was clearly crap, since there weren't many miles on the car since the prior rebuild. (New shop this time). Everything appeared to be working fine until yesterday his light came on again. I haven't checked it over yet, but do y'all have any suggestions as to why he would have this recurring charging issue?

More details to come after I see the car

Thanks

Guest 60electra225

Check the fuse on the side of the regulator. I had a similar problem with the car not charging after a generator rebuild and the fuse had come apart after reconnecting all the wiring (I had the regulator off to have it matched up to the generator). I thought it was just a ceramic block, but for some reason, Buick thought it necessary to put a fuse on the regulator.

Check the fuse on the side of the regulator. I had a similar problem with the car not charging after a generator rebuild and the fuse had come apart after reconnecting all the wiring (I had the regulator off to have it matched up to the generator). I thought it was just a ceramic block, but for some reason, Buick thought it necessary to put a fuse on the regulator.

Really?

Humph. I'll check that.

Yeah, new regulator.

Not sure about belt slippage. I put a ten foot breaker bar and tightened the belt until the pulley went sideways. (Kidding)

The last generator actually had something cut loose from the front. Like, when I started it, some black stuff exploded out of the front. I'm wondering if he has mice building nests somewhere.

I'll keep ya posted.

Be sure the regulator is grounded to generator. On our 55's there is a wire (yellow) that goes from the generator body to to the case of the regulator. Those rubber grommets at the regulator mount points isolate it and without that wire attached ==> no worky :D

Guest 60electra225
For the initiated like me :(, where does it attach? Does a new one come with a new regulator? Can it cause repeated problems?

The fuse goes on the battery line. They do not come with the regulator. No reason for it to cause repeated problems. Mine had been on the car since 1960 presumably and it was only my error in not knowing that it was there and what it did that caused the problem i.e no power getting to the battery to recharge it.

Guest 60electra225

Trust me - it was only by luck that I found what the problem was ! The fuse however is documents in the service manual.