55 Super vent window frame/A-pillar interchangeability?

Guest tommyduncan

Guest tommyduncan

I managed to break the A-pillar(front/thick part of the vent window frame) on the driver side door of my 55 Super 2 door.

Are the 4 door Roadmaster/Super the same? What other years would interchange? Certain Cadillacs and Olds also?

I plan to look at my local library but I don't believe they have an interchange manual for those years.I don't need one right away since the car is a project but I need to start the search since I know how long it can take.

I guess I've been messing with Jeeps too much lately because I noticed the gap was a little big between the a-pillar/door so I held the door open with my right hand and gave the pillar a good push with my left (this method is actually in one of my Jeep manuals). It snapped right off! I didn't realize it was cast aluminum or I never would have tried it...

EDIT: I don't know why I said aluminum. I'm pretty sure they are pot metal. I had so many things on my mind since I just got the car home I spaced...

Edited by tommyduncan (see edit history)

Guest tommyduncan
You can use the window frames from 1954-56R and 76RX and 1955 56R and 76R,proberly even from Cadillac similar models those years.

Leif in Sweden.

Thank you sir. I found a lead on one from a 56 Cadillac. I just need to make sure it fits.

My grandmother left Sweden in her teens. I think the place she lived was called Karlskoga? Swedish relatives would come visit us when I was a teen but we lost touch. I would love to see them again as they were very fun loving people!

Guest tommyduncan
You will see how it is adjusted when you replace it :rolleyes:. Contact me by PM if you need a body manual for that car.

Willie

Thank you. I ordered a shop manual and an owners manual. I will be contacting you soon.

I feel foolish for my ham-fistedness but I suspect it might have been damaged already since it broke really easy. I was leaving the storage yard when I broke it so I will have to look closer when I get a chance...

Either way I try to own my mistakes so I can move on to the next one.

I don`t Think 1956 Cadillac will fit just becuse they will fit on 1956 Buick.Karlskoga is about 150 miles South West from vere I live.

Leif in Sweden.

Thank you again! I have a lot to learn about these cars... I have been working on less sophisticated vehicles for the last couple years, 60's Jeeps and Chevy/GMC trucks. I might have to use a little more finesse on these chrome laden cars

. This is probably

the friendliest car related forum I have been on and I can't believe how much information is here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tommyduncan
You can use the window frames from 1954-56R and 76RX and 1955 56R and 76R,proberly even from Cadillac similar models those years.

Leif in Sweden.

I don`t Think 1956 Cadillac will fit just becuse they will fit on 1956 Buick.Karlskoga is about 150 miles South West from vere I live.

Leif in Sweden.

Originally I thought this meant a 1954-1956 would fit. Now I see that it says that a 1954-55 model 56R will fit. Interestingly the weatherstripping shows as the same as a 56. Who knows? I will just wait until I can find one that definitely fits.

My car is in storage temporarily until I finish some other projects and my daughters wedding is over. I went to get a better look at it since it was only at my house for a few hours since I picked it up.

The post is broken at the base. You can't even tell from the outside and I think the upper door trim piece will hide the crack on the inside. The door pieces were removed(and luckily in the trunk)when I bought it.

There are many things that need attention before this is the biggest problem so I might just do a temporary fix until I find one.

My first step is to vacuum 20 plus years of dust out of it and get the brakes working. It has no fuel pump and who knows what the tank has going on inside?

I did squirt Marvel mystery oil into the cylinders, turn it through a few times with a socket, and prime the carb. It fired right up after sitting since 1990.

It was pretty obvious that it will need exhaust also...

I also found a good working dynaflow from another 55 a little over 100 miles away so I bought it. Not sure if I will need it but from what I've read the extra parts couldn't hurt.

Edited by tommyduncan (see edit history)

Guest tommyduncan
Mine Broke in the exact same place, the 1954 Coupe Deville, I pulled one off of was an exact fit.

Thanks, good to know.

I think I found one off of a 54 Buick on E-bay but it is pretty rusty/pitted. Trying to decide if I should get it or hold out for a nicer one...

Originally I thought this meant a 1954-1956 would fit. Now I see that it says that a 1954-55 model 56R will fit. Interestingly the weatherstripping shows as the same as a 56. Who knows? I will just wait until I can find one that definitely fits.

My car is in storage temporarily until I finish some other projects and my daughters wedding is over. I went to get a better look at it since it was only at my house for a few hours since I picked it up.

The post is broken at the base. You can't even tell from the outside and I think the upper door trim piece will hide the crack on the inside. The door pieces were removed(and luckily in the trunk)when I bought it.

There are many things that need attention before this is the biggest problem so I might just do a temporary fix until I find one.

My first step is to vacuum 20 plus years of dust out of it and get the brakes working. It has no fuel pump and who knows what the tank has going on inside?

I did squirt Marvel mystery oil into the cylinders, turn it through a few times with a socket, and prime the carb. It fired right up after sitting since 1990.

It was pretty obvious that it will need exhaust also...

I also found a good working dynaflow from another 55 a little over 100 miles away so I bought it. Not sure if I will need it but from what I've read the extra parts couldn't hurt.

For Exhaust; try Waldrens