help identify. Old part

Guest Steve c g

Guest Steve c g
I'm wondering if it's part of a Delco Light generator. Could you post a few more photos of a few other sides?

Yes I will try to show other pictures

Guest Steve c g

I am trying to load another picture but it seems that any basic computer skills I had must have vanished over might

yes it does have what I would say is a distributor on the side. There is a rotar on the center shaft

Guest Steve c g

Yes that's it or darn close. I worked on trying to clean area above patent plate to find numbers (stamped in housing) maybe something there but very faint.There is casting numbers on back Side were it bolts to block.

So this a starter/ generator as 1 unit. With one gear on end of shaft to engage flywheel to start motor, how did shaft keep turning to generator because after starting the gear kicks out or not????

As a member of a local antique tractor and gas engine club any old parts I find at auction is a find

As the starter slows down,,foot off starter pedal,,

the over-running clutch picks up the load and turns the

armature at a slower speed,,,,speed of the front shaft,,

Hope this helps,,,Cheers,,Ben

Guest Steve c g

Thanks for help on the identification and the workings of it. This starter was pulled out of a barn at auction and seems to have straw and dirt inside. Well barn mice need a home also. Is there any market for this part but would have to get refurbished

You could sell it as is to the owner of the appropriate Buick. Let them worry about refurbishing.

I don't know that model, but most starter/ generators had a planetary gear set in them. When the starter was driving, it was geared down. When the shaft drove the armature it was direct drive.

You probably know that a starter will act as a motor and vise versa. They had 2 sets of brushes to change from one to the other and the appropriate switches and connections. The armature and field coils served both functions.

1914 was the first year for a unit like that on a buick. The unit on my '22 is a bit different but it is a 6-cyl. I believe oldsmobile ran units like that back then too. Many cars ran units like that I would imagine. Who knows about rebuilding them? My '22 has worn brushes and a badly worn armature. It charges fine but will not turn the engine over when the starter pedal is pushed.

There should be a 3 digit number stamped above the brass plate Just above the word DISCONNECT. I am looking for a #283 for my 1925 Buick standard.

I do have a list somewhere that identifies what # fits what year/model car. I shall look... If not my number I have some other Buick buddies who may need it.

Larry DiBarry

Guest Steve c g

To dibarlaw yes will look for that number was cleaning area off the other day and saw some kinda markings but hard to see I will get cheaters and see what I can a little soapstone dust does wunders.

Guest Steve c g

Above the brass plate reading left to right. 2.5 51395

to the best that I can tell that's the numbers it sure looks like a dot between the 2 and 5.

Many times a very rusty case will obliterate these stamped numbers The Buick starter generator 3 digit numbers have no 5 as the 3rd digit. Before 1917 these had 2 digit #s such a D-70 for 1916-1917 Buick model D44/D45. The numbers on the left were for model ID of unit. The right hand numbers are the serial number. All the Buick S/G I have seen. The unit I have on my 1925 Buick Standard Model 25 is 283 124278. I have 2 somewhat gutted S/G with #s 283 50046 and 283 33786.

I can't really make a good spare one out of the 2 combined. The only # close is 251 for the 1923 4cylinder.