oil pan wanted

bob duffer

I took my oil pan to get Powder coated and the guy said he would recommend a new pan because of tiny holes in the bottom from rust.

Just wanted to see if anyone had a oil pan for a 1934 Buick series 50 they wanted to sell. Or if there was some other year pan that might

fit or aftermarket . The holes are only in a very small area so i'm guessing It can be repaired. But if someone had a decent replacement i would rather do that.

post-100205-14314294162_thumb.jpeg

I have a junk 34 block and several 32 blocks all for 50 series. I'll check the pans tomorrow for condition and interchange and let you know. Many of these pans do have rust in the bottom and have been repaired.

repair may be cheaper than shipping. Any of my pans would need some work to clean, remove dents and straighten flanges.

Bob Engle

I've been under the weather and haven't got out to my storage barn. I did look through my master parts manual and it confirms Leif"s post that 31 through 35 oil pans are interchangeable. I'll let you know what the best condition pan in my barn looks like shortly.

Bob Engle

Bob,

I agree with Marty.

Brazing on the inside of the pan is the best option.

There is no epoxy or chemical sealant that will withstand engine oil and the heat / cool cycles that the pan is subjected to.

You could weld in a false bottom, but that is a very involved process, and it is likely to warp the pan. Then you would have a real mess.

Or a piece of wall art............

Yup, I would braze the inside.

I finally checked my 4 pans, 3 are worse than your pan appears. The other one is about equal with your pan. It has some brazing to fill pin holes. I doubt that you would be interested in this pan. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. I would braze the inside and lead and smooth the outside for appearance.

Sorry I didn't have a solution for you.

Bob Engle

this is a pic of the pan,also a devcon product that has not let me down ,not cheap but works great ,grinds like steel.[ATTACH=CONFIG]293618[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]293619[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]293620[/ATTACH]

Hey pacrat, who darns your socks ? HEHE............

A hole opened up in my oil pan when I was cleaning up the outside using a rotary wire brush. When I looked inside, there was a line of deep pitting on both sides of the drain fitting. I cleaned the area as best as I could, then welded the hole closed plus the neighboring pitted areas. The pan sheetmetal is thicker than the Ford fenders I learned to weld on, and it was easy welding; it didn't warp or move from the heat. Total weld time was about 20 minutes for this area. The dip stick fitting is also broken and will require a weld repair, but I have already removed and cleaned/ straightened the parts in preparation. I had several hours invested in wire brushing the old paint off and cleaning the sludge out of the pan, and it made more sense for me to spend a little more time just welding up the holes and broken pieces.

this is the "before" rust thru and pitting

post-102181-143142962488_thumb.jpg

the weld repair

post-102181-143142962493_thumb.jpg

broken dip stick fitting. weld repaired areas don't really show on the exterior of the pan.

post-102181-143142962498_thumb.jpg

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin,

From the looks of your dipstick tube, it appears that the stamping that hold the tube is riveted and then soldered on to the pan.

You get a torch in there hot enough to "weld" the tube back on, and I think you will unsolder the stamping.

Not a big deal, so long as you re-solder the stamping to the pan.

Kapish ?