gas boilover from carb

Guest DSA58

When I turn off my 58 Buick 364 CID the fuel boils out the carburetor vent tubes, is there any way to block off the heat riser, I have don this with my Chevy motors but the 364 is a different design. I have removed the gate from the exhaust manifold already.

Not sure about the 364 , but some carburetors have a non metal spacer / gasket on its underside that helps to dissipate heat from manifold.

Good luck.

Tom

I had the same problem with my 1960 Buick. The only cure for it i found was finally switching to an electric fuel pump and relocating the fuel line. The Buick 364 is a perfect storm for fuel percolation: big engine/small carburetor, fuel line running along block not far from exhaust, fuel pump high on block also near manifold.

Here's the original thread I started on the subject: http://forums.aaca.org/f120/boiling-fuel-1960-buick-stromberg-2-a-156423.html

Thanks for the answers, the car gets great gas millage so its not the needle and seat or the float being to high, my plugs are all clean and have 5000 miles on them. The car runs perfect until you turn it off and then it starts to drip out the vent tubes, and you can hear the gas boiling in the fuel bowl. This is a 4 barrel 60 series engine with the stock carter AFB carburetor. Could I be putting the wrong base gasket on it, do they make more then one?

Again, thank you for your help.

David