Want to convert to 12 volt positive ground

Guest catzsnot

Guest catzsnot

1936 Chrysler Airstream - want to convert to 12 volt positive ground - has anyone done this or know anything about it? Only thing that's not original is the 1-wire GM alternator with positive ground. Without having to change the coil or fuel tank sender and guage, want to still run the car positive ground but need to regulate it to 6 volts. I know the amperage that the coil will draw and the guage and sender unit, will be too much for a regular lm7906 regulator. Need to connect it with a transistor but not quite sure how to do it. Anyone ever done something similar? Plenty of people have done it with positive regulator but not a negative voltage regulator.

Why change it? My 36 Airstream starts and runs great hot or cold with the original 6 Volt. Charges good, plenty of power for the lights and everything.

I agree, problems with 6V systems are largely down to maintenance. Just ensure that everything is within spec and it should be fine. It was when the car was new, or nobody would have bought one. people often make conversions when maintenance is what they should be doing. Much cheaper and simpler too.

Adam..

• 3 weeks later...
Guest catzsnot

Just a thought for a moment - but not going to change it now. Thanks for the input though - every answer I got was the same as you all's! That should tell me enough. Always abundance of great info from you all.