1923 Cardway Touring Continental 6Y guidance

Guest AlCapone

See this thread, especially post #19, for other makes/years using Continental 6Y: http://forums.aaca.org/f223/continental-1925-moon-361601.html

According to post 19, the Auburn model 43 of 1923-25 used the 6Y. However, different distributors used in different applications will drive the distributor tuneup parts. So I would determine the distributor number on your Cardway (a SUPERB acquisition--congrats!) before seeking dist parts. Probably the Auburn model 43 spark plug application will do well in your Cardway.

If you can provide a distributor make and number, we can probably help identify distributor parts. From the dist make and number, we can then identify other cars using that distributor and get point gap and timing advance info from manuals such as Reed, Radco, or National Service Data--which, of course, are most unlikely to cover Cardway. I believe I've seen pages from a 1925-30 Radco manual on the Internet, but I have a photocopy as well.

Per a Victor gasket listing, the 6Y and 7U Continental engines used Victor head gasket #428.

Hope this helps! Good luck and please keep us posted!

Guest AlCapone
See this thread, especially post #19, for other makes/years using Continental 6Y: http://forums.aaca.org/f223/continental-1925-moon-361601.html

According to post 19, the Auburn model 43 of 1923-25 used the 6Y. However, different distributors used in different applications will drive the distributor tuneup parts. So I would determine the distributor number on your Cardway (a SUPERB acquisition--congrats!) before seeking dist parts. Probably the Auburn model 43 spark plug application will do well in your Cardway.

If you can provide a distributor make and number, we can probably help identify distributor parts. From the dist make and number, we can then identify other cars using that distributor and get point gap and timing advance info from manuals such as Reed, Radco, or National Service Data--which, of course, are most unlikely to cover Cardway. I believe I've seen pages from a 1925-30 Radco manual on the Internet, but I have a photocopy as well.

Per a Victor gasket listing, the 6Y and 7U Continental engines used Victor head gasket #428.

Hope this helps! Good luck and please keep us posted!

George. Thank you very much, that was very kind of you. I another very mechanically inclined so I need all the help I can possibly get. Regards, Wayne

Wayne, I have Reed, Radco, and NSD manuals bracketing the 1920s, and a 1928 AEA (Automotive Electrical Assn) catalog with OEM part numbers. If you get me the distributor number, I'll do a search. No guarantees, but I'll give it a try!

Guest AlCapone

Hi folks ( George especially ) I went today to the storage area to take a picture of the distributor. Much to my surprise, I think instead of a distributor it has a Magneto. As I said I know virtually nothing about mechanics. The previous owner had only one spare part and that was a rebuilt magneto which he included in the deal. I was also able to buy a set of W20 spark plugs. So excuse my ignorance but does this mean there is no distributor, cap, rotor and condenser ! And what about timing ? I truly thank you once again !

Wayne

The Champion W-series spark plugs have a number of heat ranges available for 7/8" thread plugs, more than the generics offered by other manufacturers. HOOWEVER, some collectors shy away from them on authenticity grounds because of their large size and especially because they are cadmium-plated, which first appeared in the late 1930s. My 1998 Champion book shows W-16Y as the application for Auburns with 7/8" plugs, including for those with the Continental 6Y engine. I'd see how the W-20s (if that's what in the car) do with the magneto, which may well require some fine tuning of specific plugs.

If a blued-appearance plug is essential to you for show, I recommend Autolite 3076, which I use in my 6-cyl (1925) and 8-cyl (1930) Pierces which use 7/8" plugs. Or apply gun blueing to the Champion bases....

I leafed through about 500 unindexed pages covering 1920-25 of a Reed Service Manual. No Cardway pages--no surprise! Very few on Auburn model 6-43, which used the Cont 6Y. If someone can come up with other cars of the period which used the 6Y engine, I'll be glad to provide coil and distributor numbers which will be needed ONLY if you wish to convert from the magneto (I wouldn't).

I have no experience with magnetos, but there are plenty of folks here to help you with them.

Should you desire to convert to coil/distributor ignition (I wouldn't), you might try to find a centrifugal-advance only (i.e., no vacuum advance) distributor from a common make which can be adapted.

Best wishes and please keep us posted.

George

Guest AlCapone

I would like to keep the car as original as possible and that is why I purchased a set of the plugs that are in it. I thought they were likely the original. I have no desire to change from the magneto and will cope the best I can. I wish to thank you for your extensive research as that is very kind and generous of you. Best regards, Wayne

Wayne:

(1) Post any/all ID info on your mag; if none, a good pic or pix...then:

If nothing turns up here re' mag info, advice and/or sympathy, as the case may be, post your mag ID/pix and appeal for help in any one of the old tractor/old Ag eqpmt sites, as most older units used various mags...(smokstak, ytmag come to mind)...

(2) At first glance, the 6Y doesn't seem to've been all that popular, and may've---repeat, may've---been quickly replaced by the 7U...like, f'rinstance:

Anderson 1923 Coach 6Y; Anderson 1924 (no ID) 7U

Auburn 6-43 1923 6Y; 6-43 1924 7U

Columbia Light Six 22-23 6Y; 1924 var models named by letters 7U

Other makes are simply listed 6Y-7U with only a range of years (Barley 22-24 6Y, 7U)......

A 30 valve catalog lists valves for 6Y, with a separate listing for a different valve for "late 6Y, 7U and 7Z"...

A 30 McCord catalog lists the 6Y, 7U and 10U as all 31/8x41/4, using the same nine gaskets listed...(the 10U isn't listed in several other period catalogs)...

Auburn is the only relatively familiar name, but I'd be surprised if any of this period Auburns came with a mag, unless dual ign and/or also equipped with a gen etc for electric start......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest AlCapone

This mag has a manual advance on the stearing wheal and must be retarded when started.

Al

I am getting no spark, could this be the problem? Wayne

• 3 weeks later...