1931 Buick series 50 Phaeton

Guest TerryB601

Guest TerryB601

I have a SUPER nice completely original series 50 Phaeton I would like to sell. car is 93% complete missing only the dash bezel for guages, linkage for throttle from steering colume to carb,oil filter canister. The car came from California and has its original 1931 tag. 100% rust free and the wood is perfect. The original paint is still on this car, the fenders apear to have been repainted at some time. The leather interior is in poor condition but all door panels and rear seat are original to the car as well as the top and side curtins though they are again in poor condition. The wire wheels including the dual side mounts are fantastic as well as the hub caps. All of the Chrome headlights, coul lights tail lights etc are in Super original condition. The motor although complete and very clean, Porcelin on manifold perfect etc will not turn over. It was last ran about 2 years ago and ran smooth and trans shifted smooth, brakes were up and working and car ran straight on the road and had plenty of power. I have not tried to free the motor but have put Marvel Mystery oil in all 8 cylinders. This car has been stored indoors for years many years and the odometer reads less than 6000 miles but I have no clue if this is correct BUT when looking under this car and at the motor and by the feel of the drivetrain etc this coukd very well be the correct miles. Less than 360 of these cars were built and about 75 exported and I have been told less than a dozen are registered and or insured at this time. A REALLY NEAT and TOTALLY original Phaeton with its original travel trunk and Original owners manual, Very easy restoration or leave as is !!! The front bumper on the car is not correct but I have a correct one that needs replating,the motor is stuck but should be little trouble to free up and may run fine as is. I would love to keep this car but have no room for it. Phone # 601-529-9783 email egggravy@bellsouth.net This Phaeton is located in Vicksburg Ms, I have plenty of photos I just havnt figured out how to post them yet !!! I would like to get $20.000 for this 31 Buick Phaeton and feel this is a Very Fair price, I have in fact been offered this amount by several people who wat to build a street rod with it. I like cars of all types and own a couple Hot Rods BUT this car is truly a Rare Find in this condition and I want to try and find a buyer that wants to restore or maintain it as original and the price is not set in stone, again I am looking for a buyer to preserve this car if I can in a timely manner. Contact me for pictures if seriously interested. Thanks

Edited by TerryB601
I have plenty pictures but have not figured out how to post them yet (see edit history)

TerryB601,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Please review the Buy/Sell Forum rules:

http://forums.aaca.org/f119/buy-sell-forum-rules-buyers-sellers-202656.html

At a minimum you need to add your general location and the price you are asking for the car. Photos will help you find a buyer for the car.

post-31482-143142938213_thumb.jpgHere are some photos....a clear case of don't criticize a man's asking price without seeing the car, this looks like a really nice car that could have a little money spent on it and be a great original driver....a rare car at just a little over Model A prices....

post-31482-143142938149_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143142938156_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143142938163_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143142938172_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143142938184_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143142938197_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143142938207_thumb.jpg

Guest TerryB601

Thanks Guys, I have had half a dozen members offer topost my pictures !!! Im not much on this online stuff Im a River Boat Captain and Old car Guy. This is truly a great old car that needs to be kept in its original state and I will do what it takes to see this happen. I have several cars "to many to ever restore in my lifetime" and Ive finally come to terms with this. This car is a classic example of what happens when a car is left alone and not driven enough because I promise this car would crank and idle so smooth You could almost watch a single blade on the fan! The car was able to keep up with highway traffic and cruze all day long on a 1/2 tank of gas and never overheat or give any trouble. I charged the battery and made sure all the fluids were good and for the first time ever it would not turn over, I have been able to turn the motor about 1/2 inch with a crank handle and 18inch pipe but its just not wanting to turn as it should. Ive put MMO in the cylinders and will try again with the hand crank but I dont want to force the motor to spin, Ive never had a car do this before and dont know why its stuck? The last time it was ran was about 14 months ago and it cranked rite up and after warming up it was driven 25-30 miles and parked, normal temp and oil pressure at that time !!! Back to the car, I think 20K is a very fair price for this car and I bet a dollar to a donut You'll never find another this complete and this original at any price, but I want to see this one kept original and I am willing to work with the buyer anyway I can to see this happen. Thanks again for the interest and all the help Guys, I have two other really nice Buicks Im going to sell as well as soon as I figure out how to post the pictures lol, 1940 Touring sedan with original interior that is as nice as a three year old car and will go all day on the interstate at 70 and have everyone in the parking lot hanging out while Ya fill it up!! and a 55 four door that has 11300 miles on it and the hang tag is still on the ciggerete lighter!!! the inside is like a time capsule. OK Im done Thanks again

I agree, don't know if it will sell on this forum, but a little exposure on PreWarCar or other such site and I think it'll get something real close to asking price....pictures "lie" a little but that still looks like a solid car....

Guest TerryB601

This 1940 Buick is a really great car, runs like a clock and the interior is in beautiful original unrestored condition. Everythig works, radio everything! odometer reads 70 something thousand and I have no clue if it is correct but the speedometer works fine. Im asking $17500 for this car, it is in very good condition has won plenty of awards at shows and is just a great old Buick with plenty of room to haul the kids or grandkids around and enough power to pull a AC compressor if someone wanted to install Vintage air! The paint is good but not show perfect by a long shot its a awsume 20 footer. 601-529-9783 Thanks

It's a great-looking car. I was trying to offer advice, not a criticism of his asking price. He's asking NADA low book (which it looks like it is), but that assumes the car runs. Maybe he'll find a buyer who'll take him at his word that that car was a good runner and may just need a tuneup, but he'd have a much better chance to get his price if he can show a seller how it runs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]291271[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291272[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291273[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291274[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291275[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291276[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291277[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]291278[/ATTACH]Here are some photos....a clear case of don't criticize a man's asking price without seeing the car, this looks like a really nice car that could have a little money spent on it and be a great original driver....a rare car at just a little over Model A prices....

Understood...but I'd buy a nice solid car not running LONG before I'd buy a rusty piece of stuff that ran like a top.....turning wrenches is easy, bodywork and paint ain't......and yes, I know Good Grammar isn't your relative who makes cookies, and ain't ain't a word!

Guest TerryB601

I have tryed to start the car but after sitting a little over a year it is stuck, I cant imagine why because there is no oil in the water no water in the oil. I have looked in all 8 cycinders wth a scope and see no rust or anything on the top of the pistons ? The car ran great when last driven and has not been outside the shop. I have Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders now and will try again to free it up tomorrow but Im not going to force it to turn. I can sell the car as is TODAY to someone that wants to build a street rod with it and he will even give me back the 6 wire wheels with caps and the dual side mounts and hardware in the deal BUT I am going to give the car one month to sell in hopes of finding a buyer that will preserve it as I have or rstore it. This is a GREAT car, Look at the stance, This car still drives and rides and has the same posture it had 70 years ago !!! As for the price, I am asking what I have been offered more than once for the car from buyers that will pull that awsume straight eight out and replace with some crate motor. I really dont think NADA is the proper guide to price this car, $100.000 cant replace it, there are only half a dozen registerd in the US and only one is a survivor like mine so I am only asking what I have been offered by a couple people who have seen the car when I had it out cruzin. This car is 100% rust free and the wood is solid. The doors and all the body panels fit perfectly and there is not one drop of oil under this car ! I think it would make a AWSUME Street Rod, real head turner and I own two restomods a couple street rods and several Restored Vintage cars and pickups and this is not my only original Classic. I have more cars than I can keep up with and thats why this one is stuck and wont crank at this point ! I will be selling all of my original and unrestored rides over the next couple of months to downsize and be able to stay on top of the cars in my collection. This is the first time I have offered the car for sale and its only been a couple days, Im sure someone will want to preserve it and Im in a position to make that possible, Im always open for offers and trades, I am addicted to Vintage COLT pistols and will trade. Thanks everyone for Your imput and help.

TerryB601,

I would love to have it but have neither the money nor space for it. I agree it would be much easier to sell the car without the unknown condition of the engine. I would like to offer one easy suggestion for you to try. If you would remove the starter and see if that frees up the engine, finding out that a simple stuck starter drive was causing the engine to be stuck would certainly make the car instantly easier to sell with a minor investment of time and effort.

That's a rare, good looking car that appears to be well preserved. Even with the unknown condition of the engine, I think it is priced very fair and will likely find a new owner sooner than later. I agree that the next owner should get running and keep it in its current condition. Personally, I really like cars in this condition. With a car as rare as this, NADA,or any other price guide, means nothing. How many have traded hands recently for a true value to be determined?

These Buicks are great running and very user friendly cars that can out perform some of the more prestigious makes of the era. Where are you going to find an eight cylinder, extremely usable, honest and true phaeton for 20K?

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

Great looking Buick. I hope you find a proper future caretaker for it.

Some suggestions for the engine. If it ran within a year or two, there may be another reason other than the pistons for it not turning over. If the engine was not fully warmed up enough to fully oil the valve train, it could be as simple as a stuck valve. I have had this happen to two cars when sitting in storage. It has happened in as little as a couple months and the usual culprite is one of the exhaust valves.

You can sometimes test for this by trying to rock the crankshaft with a wrench on the front pulley. The crankshaft may be able to be moved a couple of degrees back and forth which at least tells that the bearings are free.

I would recommend taking off the valve cover and then oiling the valve stems. When there is some clearence between the valves and pistons then a second test is to carefully use a lever or soft mallet) to check that the valves are free to move. The stuck one will be obvious. This was the saving grace with a Hudson that was purchased at auction with a "stuck motor". Some careful work on the valve train and the engine freed right up. I was able to free up another with an L-head 8 with the head on when the stuck exhaust valve was under the spark plug hole.

Another good alternative is to take off the head and check the pistons and valves. It is more work, but it will show the problem quickly.

I just received a Model T in my shop last week with a stuck engine. I was told to lift the left rear wheel and try to spin it. If it did not rotate that meant the starter was stuck. Sure enough the bendix drive was jammed against the flywheel. Removed it and the engine spun fine with the crank. I don't know if that applies to a Buick but that was my experience with a Model T.

Guest TerryB601

I want to thank everyone who helped me with this post and espeally the Gentlemen that spent so much of there time and interest in my Buick. This has been a really pleasent expearience for Me and a learning one as well. I found out more about my Buick in the few days I've been on this site than in the 15 years I was the caretaker of the Phaeton and I have in fact decided to hold on to my 55 Buick and revel in it's low milage and 100% originality. Good luck to all of You and may You all find the car of Your dreams in a barn or collection near by!!! Thanks Again , Terry B

• 3 months later...

Ok question, I have a 64C 1930 Buick also and this spring all of a sudden it over heats after about 25 minutes of running. It is not sluggish on power, it will motor at 50-55 all day long or until it over heats. I have heard that maybe I need to flush the radiator, but I have done that 3 times already and it still doesn't help. Any ideas???

Do they have a thermostat in them? If so it could be stuck maybe even partially. I would buy an infrared heat gun (thermometer) and shoot around the engine and radiator to see if the water is flowing. It should help you isolate the hot spot and go from their. It could even be some sludge or scale in the block moved around an plugged something. I bought my temp gun off ebay for under $30 new.