Chevrolet Cabriolet 1931?

Guest Magnus T

Guest Magnus T

Hi. I am Magnus from Sweden.

i have started to renovate my fathers car and i wonder i anyone can say what model it is? see the pictures!

My father says its at Sport Roadster but i think it is the Cabriolet version!

Whats the difference between the cab versions?

This one has rumbleseat and a Cabriolet roof!

My father bought the car in Denmark 1969 and now we ha have begun too assembly it!!

I hope someone has som answers.

Thank you!

/Magnus

post-105835-143142937556_thumb.jpg

post-105835-143142937548_thumb.jpg

Magnus,

I am not a Chevy expert but generally speaking a roadster has snap in side curtains for bad weather. A cabriolet was considered more upscale or deluxe car because it has roll up side windows which were a huge improvement to the side curtains in bad weather.

Looking at your pictures the only clue I can see may be that your cowl has a bolt on windshield or stanchions. This is more typical of a roadster body as most cabbies I have seen have rigid posts as part of the cowl. Again, Chevy may be different since it has been quite a while since a local casual friend had a '1931 Cabbie that won all kinds of awards including AACA Senior or higher.

Regards,

Guest Magnus T

Thank you for your answers Bill!

My car has roll up windows so that speaks for the cabriolet model.

Im almost sure that my car is the Cabriolet modell now.

Thats good! i think that its more rare than the roadster.

it was made about 24000 in -31 wonder how many there left in the world!?

Best Regards

/Magnus

Magnus,

I am also restoring a 31 Chevrolet Cabriolet. The job number of 31568 is for the Cabriolet model. Mine is also the same trim and paint code. I second Landman's recommendation on the VCCA, a wealth of information to help with your project.

Good luck!

Dave

Guest Magnus T

Hello Dave!

Is the Cabriolet modell one of the more exclusive models? Do you have any knowledge of how many there are left in the US?

Regards

Magnus

Magnus, Hard to say how many are left but the guys at VCCA might help. I would join that club as soon as possible, I wish I knew about it years ago. There were a few of models with lower production which are harder to find. It is a great looking car when finished and from what I hear very fun to drive. Some parts are very difficult to find, like the windshield frame so be careful with those.

Dave

Like others have said, the VCCA forum is your best source for information on Chevrolets.

This link goes directly to the color combinations and paint chip information for the 1931 Chevrolet link shown above in another posting: http://1931chevrolet.com/Color-Index.htm

Page 6 has the color codes with the exact color names and page 7 has paint chips

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

Hello Dave!

Is the Cabriolet modell one of the more exclusive models? Do you have any knowledge of how many there are left in the US?

Regards

Magnus

There is absolutely no way to determine how many of a production model of a certain make are "left in the US". There are too many circumstances involved such as restored cars hidden or unrestored cars languishing in places unknown. The only count you can hope to make is to count all of the cars in the various clubs and even then, it would be hard to count them since some members come and go.