1923 Cardway has a new owner! Please help!

Guest AlCapone

Guest AlCapone

Thank you Craig and JV. You are obviously both a wealth of knowledge in this subject matter. I hope I never need you but a comfort to know this knowledge base is available. Many thanks once again ! Wayne

Guest AlCapone

As we go forward. The ignition / light switch is in the dash. The ignition key is missing but this does not affect the lights. The car has a temporary switch to start it. Where do I start to have a key made for this switch. Is there a chance with a local locksmith or is there a company that rebuilds these type switches. Thanks, Wayne

Guest AlCapone
Congrats Wayne !

Subscribed :cool:

Thanks 30D. I am told the closet thing to an owner's manual will likely be a 1922-23 Hudson Touring Do you or any other member have one ? Thanks Wayne

Thanks 30D. I am told the closet thing to an owner's manual will likely be a 1922-23 Hudson Touring Do you or any other member have one ? Thanks Wayne

Closest thing I have currently is late teens early 20s literature for interchange parts but I don't recall Cardway being listed (I'll double check).

I'll keep my eyes open for the Hudson literature though,,, you never know when something like that becomes available...

The Velie Automobiles of that vintage also used the 6 Cylinder Continental. The Continental slogan was, "Powerful As The Nation." Nice Car Wayne. Agree that a mag is not that big of a deal if you do have a problem. If you plan to tour this car, It would not hurt to have a spare under the seat. Comparing a Model T Ford mag to this type is Apples to Oranges. Model T's generate AC current at 9 to 12 volts to run 4 individual vibrating buzz coils timed though a timer and roller at the front of the 4 cylinder engine. The type of mag on your car is basically a self contained unit. I've worked on, and rebuilt my share over the years. They all work on the same basic principal. Once you have an understanding of that, You can repair, as long as parts are available, or time anything one is fitted to. I've worked on and ran literally 100's of vintage tractors, engines, autos, and vintage Construction equipment with Mags. As others have said. These are very reliable and The American Bosch is a very well built unit. As fine as a Swiss Watch. Dandy Dave!

Guest AlCapone
The Velie Automobiles of that vintage also used the 6 Cylinder Continental. The Continental slogan was, "Powerful As The Nation." Nice Car Wayne. Agree that a mag is not that big of a deal if you do have a problem. If you plan to tour this car, It would not hurt to have a spare under the seat. Comparing a Model T Ford mag to this type is Apples to Oranges. Model T's generate AC current at 9 to 12 volts to run 4 individual vibrating buzz coils timed though a timer and roller at the front of the 4 cylinder engine. The type of mag on your car is basically a self contained unit. I've worked on, and rebuilt my share over the years. They all work on the same basic principal. Once you have an understanding of that, You can repair, as long as parts are available, or time anything one is fitted to. I've worked on and ran literally 100's of vintage tractors, engines, autos, and vintage Construction equipment with Mags. As others have said. These are very reliable and The American Bosch is a very well built unit. As fine as a Swiss Watch. Dandy Dave![/quote

Thanks Dave To have a person of your knowledge and wisdom working for me is very rewarding. Regards, Wayne

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AlCapone

On the advice of a member I sent a letter to the Philadelphia Free Library requesting any information they might have stored or on file concerning the Cardway Today I received copies from two different publications as well as a very detailed Sales Pamphlet dated June 1923. The pamphlet contains a significant amount of detail concerning company plans, specifications, photographs, history etcetera. It was obvious that Colonel Cardway had great plans for the company. There is as much information in this package as I had gathered from all other sources. I have written other parties and will keep you apprised of any developments. I once again thank everyone for their assistance and support.

Kind regards, Wayne

p.s. Of note or interest in the last month I have had 6 unsolicited offers to purchase ( 4 from Australia ) my new acquisition.

Guest AlCapone
Nice. I would say the PFL deserves a Gold star for keeping, and sharing the information. Dandy Dave!
nt back a ovation as they need funds to operate and it sure with

I totally agree Dave. I sent a donation to them as I am sure a few extra dollars can find a use somewhere. Thanks Dave. Wayne

Guest AlCapone

They were very friendly and cordial. Unfortunately if they don't start charging even a small stipend for services they can not survive in this time of economic crisis. Maybe even $ 5 dollars a request. I sent them $ 20 dollars and let me tell you it was money well spent.

Wayne

• 8 years later...

Bringing this thread back from nearly 9 years ago the Cardway is for sale by auction here https://shackeltonauctions.hibid.com/lot/174571077/1923-cardway-touring-4-door?ref=catalog

Looks to still be in very nice condition and a couple of other interesting cars in the same sale.  I stumbled on this thread while trying to find info on the car as I'd never heard of the company before and since a lot of the original contributors are still regulars I thought that you would have some interest.

Don