1946 Chev. 1.5 ton trans. bolt pattern question

alsfarms

I have a project in the back yard, a 1946 Chev. 1.5 ton dump truck. It has a bad engine. The truck is a fixer-upper and not a good candidate for a full on restoration. The bad engine is a newer 235. I have access to a late model 250 Chev. 6 that I would like to use as a replacement. My question is: Will the original crash box trans, with the power takeoff drive, bolt up to the typical manual trans. bell-housing that fits the 250? I do not want to mess with changing the transmission unless I get forced into it. Any other thoughts on the 250 conversion would be appreciated.

Al

Al, The 235 is the older casting for the inline sixes. The last of those were made in '62 and THEY did drop in to the older trucks with few problems. The newer sixes 194 thru 292 cu. in.were a smaller casting and the older 235 bell housing won't mate up to the 250. There are also other problems unless you get a 250 out of a standard shift car or truck complete with the bell housing and clutch. If memory serves me the old trans should bolt up to the bell housing on the 250. Good luck

If memory serves me the old trans should bolt up to the bell housing on the 250. Good luck

That is correct, assuming you have a truck bellhousing with the larger pilot hole. Note that the later I6 is longer than the 235, which can cause problems with swaps. There are shorty water pump kits available for the later six for just this application.

Thanks for you fellows taking the time to respond to my information needs on this near project. I was hopeful to use the original trans, (for nostalgia and ease sake) with the installation of a 250. I am still not real certain if it is possible. Can someone confirm, yes or no by experience, and if it can be done; what are the side issues? I gather the length of the 250 is an issue. Where can one of the "shorty" water pumps be purchased to remedy that issue? I do have access to a truck bell housing, out of a later vehicle, to work with the 250. I have proper clutch and pressure plate for the 250. If needed, I do have a later series truck 4 speed trans. that I could use. Then I see another issue to confirm, Will the original PTO drive from the original '46 trans fit and work on the later series 4 speed? What is a proven remedy for motor mounts to set the 250 in the 46 truck frame? Is something available or is it "Home Brew" time? Same question for the rear of trans? Thanks again for you fellows taking time to respond. It helps to have a general/specific idea of the project before starting!

Al

• 1 month later...