Simulated wire wheels technique

Povertycove

Pardon the dumb question from a new thunderbird owner, but is the simulated wire wheel covers as impossible a design as I think it is? I understand how to pop the cover out to check, with some difficulty, the tire pressure. But how do you remove a tire from the hub? Getting the small hub caps off is a feat in itself. But once that's done, how do you remove the lugs, since the hub caps remain trapped in the simulated wires. Is there some technique to all this? I have a copy of the instructions for mounting the simulated wires. But I can't imagine how anyone would change a flat tire, with these simulated wire wheel covers, let alone extricating the spare from the continental kit. Any advice besides the obvious, which is to buy a set of full wheel covers?

You are right, they are not the best design ever. To do anything like change a tire, you have to remove the wire cap from the wheel. There are 4-5 spring clips that hold it on. To give you a technique would be difficult with words! You said you have the instructions, it will show how the clip is installed. Then of course the small cap is removed. I recently spent a few hours installing a set on my newly restored '56 and by the third wheel I was wondering WHY?....full wheel covers would be easier! As far as the continental kit, mine will never come off...if I get a flat, Hagerty Roadside will be called!!

Get a donut spare that you can fit in the trunk for a spare tire. Using the spare that came stock is probably a real bear to fool around with, especially if at night or when it's raining. I have a donut, but I really don't keep it in the trunk, which I probably should. The tire I have in the continental kit is just a old raggy tire.

The standard caps go on first (red paint for 1955, white paint for 1956), then the 5 clips, then the wire covers. The first trick is to get the clips to seat on the rim lip. Basically takes a hammer, that's why the tape is on the whitewall. Then the clip bends out and clips onto the backside of the center ring of the wire cover. Sounds easy and looks easy by the assembly instructions, but believe me they can be a challenge. As you can see, these cover up the valve stem, so if installed correctly you grab the wire cover with two hands and evenly pull out and it stays out a couple inches to access the valve stem. In this position you can also clean the small cap and wheel.

Oldsmobile used these clips for years. And Oldsmobile owners hate them. But in our case there is no alternative. I never realized T-Birds used them. The clips go in the rim easier if you dip them soapy water. Letting the air out of the tire helps, too. Fortunately they don't need to be fooled with on a regular basis.

Paul

That's a great write up on how it actually is to install and remove them. I might still consider a set then. There is a set of four in good shape on ebay right now for $300 plus shipping which sounds like it might be a good deal. I'd still have to find a set of clips and poverty caps to use them.

post-32395-143142935067_thumb.jpg

Oldsmobile used these clips for years. And Oldsmobile owners hate them. But in our case there is no alternative. I never realized T-Birds used them. The clips go in the rim easier if you dip them soapy water. Letting the air out of the tire helps, too. Fortunately they don't need to be fooled with on a regular basis.

Paul

I had a 1957 olds golden rocket 88 holiday two door hardtop back in the early 1980's, It had 5 clips on each wheel, it wasn't too bad getting the hubcap pulled away to check the tire pressure once you got used to doing it. those clips are reproduce now by fusick oldsmobile parts. I really like how the 1953 olds wire wheel hubcaps can be secured with the standard riveted on clips used by oldsmobile to secure the small dog dish sized hubcaps. yes I'm using olds wheels and wire wheel hubcaps on my 1953 Pontiac chieftain custom catalina.

post-32395-14314293496_thumb.jpg

post-32395-143142934988_thumb.jpg

post-32395-143142935014_thumb.jpg

post-32395-14314293504_thumb.jpg

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)

I think this explains why you see so many early birds with the KH wires and spinner caps. I carry a reduced spare, IIRC from an Aerostar. Right height, even though it's a 16" rim, and bolts up. These are getting a little long in the tooth, but they'll get you off the freeway, or a dark road at night.

post-99287-143142937049_thumb.jpgThe simulated wire wheel cover is available in reproduction without the clips. The wire wheel basket snaps directly on the rim of the wheel. Removal is easy with a wheel cover removal tool that is also available. I have them on my 1956, and they make checking air pressure a breeze. I also have an extra set of wheels with radial tires for when I am not showing the car. It is easy to switch between the radial and bias tires with the no clip wire wheel covers. Once they are in place, you can't tell the difference.