Desperate for help to find good '90 or '91 Reatta

Guest Bdwjghsg

Guest Bdwjghsg

Bought my first '90 New in 1990. Beautiful Maui Blue. 4 years ago the brakes failed resulting in a wreck. Bought my second '90 but unfortunately rust has shut this one down. I have been searching for another Reatta since late August 2014. With no vehicle to drive for all these months, I'm tired, I cannot seem to find these nice Reattas I read are so easy to find. I am just about ready to give up and buy something else. I appeal to you Reatta owners to help me find a good Reatta. There is no person on this site who has been more loyal to the Reatta than me and I need your help.

I still have both '90's as parts cars.

Any Help On Here?

Edited by Bdwjghsg
Looking for coupe only. Additional info. I am in northeast Texas. I can spend $5k-$8k or more if necessary. (see edit history)

Just looked at the Dallas coupe and noticed the pinstripe. I don't recall another one where they wrapped the pinstripe around the front. We all know it is not the correct factory striping, must have been an owner preference .... we know several cars that came without pinstripes were then pinstriped by dealers/owners.

Guest my3buicks

Not sure why you can't find a nice Reatta coupe unless you are not wanting to travel to find one. From the time my white convertible burned in July I have seen many of them and of course I bought the red convertible but there have been a number of really fantastic coupes that have been available. Marck had commented that this was an exception car, a luttle over your price range but asking price and purchase price are to different things. http://wilmington.craigslist.org/cto/4783933844.html

Guest Bdwjghsg

Keith, I am willing to travel & thought I had a deal on a '90 coupe in South Carolina until yesterday. Lady said someone was there to buy it. She had asked me to wait because of her husband being ill, so she sold it while I was waiting for her to let me know a good time to come. One thing I will not consider is another from the rust belt. I have a beautiful white '90 from there that rust has destroyed. Car's body is perfect, but rust has taken over undercarriage, brake lines, power steering lines, calipers etc. etc. etc. I have seen many nice looking Reattas in the rust belt, but as with mine, looks can be deceiving & these folks don't want to send pics of the undercarriage. Appreciate your helping.

Guest Bdwjghsg

Hi Barney, no response yet on red coupe in Dallas. I never got any response on the one you told me about in Georgia either. The white one with blue interior that you advised me on won't cooperate with sending pics of the undercarriage. Price pretty much non negotiable with that one too. Thanks

There's rust and then there is RUST.

There is an interesting article on the AACA General Discussion about this very topic. You might want to read it and let us know what your current car is like in comparison. I for one an interested.

Except for a 4 week period my Red has not seen any snow/salt. I bought the car in Florida. The 'vert was a dealer car only driven in the summer months. Both cars have surface rust on the lines as you described. I would still claim the cars as "rust free".

Guest Bdwjghsg

Hi Dave, haven't found the article on rust yet but still looking. About my rust: power steering line rusted out, ruining pump. Replaced line & pump. Brakes were pulling to the left & then in heavy traffic, I had to slam on my brakes to avoid an accident. Blew out brake line & brake fluid leaking out. Had a hard petal. Carefully drove it to my mechanic and he told me it was a rusted mess. Lots to fix just what he could see & suggested if I was looking for another Reatta then please don't put the money it would take to fix this one. Your opinion? Thanks for your interest.

Guest Bdwjghsg

Ronnie, lady returned my call on the red coupe in Dallas. Unfortunately I do not speak Spanish & she knows very little English. Could not understand one another. So no info gathered on this one. Thanks, was worth a try.

Guest Bdwjghsg

Dave, found & read the article on rust. Good article. Surface rust does not concern me. I too have been told by many sellers "no rust", then get pics that clearly show rot as termed in this article. I believe my car is rotting away. May be wrong. Car came from Flint, Michigan. Purchased a little over 4 yrs. ago. Owner said not one speck of rust, never been driven in ice & snow; garage kept. Doesn't yet have 70k miles on it. Would love to save it.

Reatta's go in cycles for when they are for sale. Sometimes you will see 5 to 10 close to you and sometimes only 1 or 2. This is also the time of year when fewer are for sale.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/4835524915.html

Found this one with a quick search on craigslist.

To do a good search on craigslist has been made easier lately, go to your local version and select both owner and dealer, fill in years on the left to be just 1990 and 1991, type in reatta for 'make' and when you have looked at the local results then go to the far upper left of screen and click on the city to get a drop down menu with other close by locations. I just went from Dallas to Shreveport and then up to Little Rock to find this one. You can keep searching from that location box all over the country until you find one you like.

Guest Bdwjghsg

Hi, thanks for helping. I am on craigslist checking daily in several states. Already inquired about this one. Man knew very little about his car & really didn't want to find out things I asked about. Just wanted an easy sell.

Guest my3buicks

You can't assume because you find a Reatta in Arizona that it didn't live it's life in New York or Visa Versa - Often 2 seaters and similar cars are never driven in the winters, people store them. I would hate to pass on a 35K mile car because it happens to be in PA - if you have any interest in it, I would be happy to look at it for you.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest Corvanti

i wouldn't give up on the Reatta in Dallas. how far are you from the DFW area?

a couple of suggestions:

call in the evening - like around now (7pm CST). you may be able to talk to another - husband, child, etc. that speaks clearer english. if necessary, apologize and explain to the lady you are having a hard time understanding her.

if it's not too far, make a road trip to check it out.

start a thread (not in buy/sell) to see if there is someone in the DFW area that could check it out for you. include the CL link.

good luck on your quest!:)

Guest Bdwjghsg

Thanks, Corvanti. Their son who speaks little better English called me to translate. But really young & couldn't understand well enough. I did get that they've only had the car 6 months, but just too hard trying to get the young man to understand & translate my questions. I am about 175 from Dallas and would go look but as I have had nothing to drive since late August; that option is out. May see if anyone is in their area to check it out. Thanks for helping.

Guest Bdwjghsg

Trying but still learning how to navigate this site. All I have found is one pic of the undercarriage. If there are more pics & info please tell me how to find them. Thanks

Brenda, I see the 1989's sold but wanted you to be aware that if you buy an 88 or 89 there are big differences in the dash electronics and you will not be able to use parts from your 1990 as back-up. If you are keeping the 1990 for parts, then stick with a 90 or 91 replacement.

Guest jonthom
Bought my first '90 New in 1990. Beautiful Maui Blue. 4 years ago the brakes failed resulting in a wreck. Bought my second '90 but unfortunately rust has shut this one down. I have been searching for another Reatta since late August 2014. With no vehicle to drive for all these months, I'm tired, I cannot seem to find these nice Reattas I read are so easy to find. I am just about ready to give up and buy something else. I appeal to you Reatta owners to help me find a good Reatta. There is no person on this site who has been more loyal to the Reatta than me and I need your help.

I still have both '90's as parts cars.

Any Help On Here?

how about a California 1990 Maui with 58,000 miles? would that do the trick? you can call me about it at 630-553-5661 email jonthomagency@gmail.com

BCA 22880 and Reatta 168

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bdwjghsg
Brenda, what sort of odometer miles would you consider for a '91?

Hi Doug, sorry just now saw your message. Not getting all my emails. I would prefer something around 70,000 miles or under. What do you have?Thanks for responding.

Guest Bdwjghsg

Hi, just saw your post. Not getting all my emails lately. I will try & call u about your Maui blue tomorrow. Thanks for responding.

• 2 months later...
Guest ATTAWAY

I have a 1990 Buick Reatta Coupe that I NEED to sell. It's been listed on this site for $5,500.00. It is in good condition with 133,000 miles - new tires - Champagne - wire wheels. If you are interested, please get back to me. I'll take a much lower offer. Located in Birmingham, AL. (bill@attawayadvertising.com)

• 1 month later...
Guest EFCrabill

I have a 1990 Coupe with 48K miles in excellent condition that I'm putting up for sale.  It's Arctic White with Burgundy interior.  Sunroof, 16-way seat, CD player w/equalizer.  I am the original owner and have all the original manuals, etc.  I am in Illinois and don't drive it in winter.  If you are still looking for a really nice, low mileage coupe, contact me at 630-901-5117 or edwincrabill@gmail.com.  I can send pix or answer any questions.  I'm trying to downsize for retirement, so trying to find her a good home.  

Ed Crabill

edwincrabill@gmail.com

Guest chopetech

No sure if you're still looking, but I just listed a 1990 Reatta coupe with 118k for $5250. It's been my baby since I got it from my grandparents, but it's time to me to upsize to a more practical family car. The Reatta has been with me in Raleigh, NC with me for the last 2.5 years, but was garage kept in Washington state before that. Happy to provide undercarriage pictures if needed. 

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/257971-for-sale-1990-silver-buick-reatta-coupe/

No sure if you're still looking, but I just listed a 1990 Reatta coupe with 118k for $5250. It's been my baby since I got it from my grandparents, but it's time to me to upsize to a more practical family car. The Reatta has been with me in Raleigh, NC with me for the last 2.5 years, but was garage kept in Washington state before that. Happy to provide undercarriage pictures if needed. 

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/257971-for-sale-1990-silver-buick-reatta-coupe/

This is a nice car (have a soft spot for silver Reattas).  Too bad its not in SoCal but seems to have spent most of its life away from the rust belt.