Front axle bumper location?

Beltfed

I'm stumped. The 38 Zephyr don't come with front axle bumpers. The book says they are held on by two 5/16 nuts and bolts. I can't find any holes in the frame where they might fit. Can someone tell me where on the frame the holes are. I assume that the bumpers hit the radius rods somewhere right behind the prech bolts as I see nothing in the axle area that might be right. Is that correct? Thanks.

The Lincoln Parts book calls for Axle Bumper 86H-3020 fits 38-41 .The bumper is located on the frame rail over the axle . The bolt holes are 4 11/16" center to center and there is a frame rivet between the two. Notice the extra hole in the mounting tab on the bumper, thats to make clearance for the rivet.

post-31739-143142933953_thumb.jpg

post-31739-143142933956_thumb.jpg

post-88682-143142935719_thumb.jpgI found the other hole Flatcat, due to your pics. It was hidden under a 1/4" plate a PO had welded to the frame and cross member to support a large pipe coupling above the spring. I used a cutoff wheel to remove the 1/4 plate and there it was. The pic is the plate and pipe coupling I cut out. Some PO beat this car to death. Thanks again.

as per the parts books, there were 4 different bumpers, '36-'37, '38-'41, and '42-'48. On my '38 conv.coupe I reused the original bumpers( p/n 86H-3020).These are rather flat and

rectangular. The bumper that "flatcat" sent a picture of is the "conical" 26H-3020; which was used '42-'48. When I go to the Winter parts meet in March , I'll keep an eye out for

a pair for your car unless you find them before.

As always, thanks to all that are helping. Will hope to learn from Larry a little later. For a car that came out of a museum, this thing is really something. I tell people here that it's like a beauful women, you'd better look below the lipstick, it could get ugly.

Hey Larry, Could you post a picture of the correct 86H-3020 front axle bumper? The ones I have came off my car and I assumed they were correct. So far all of the 39 Zephyrs I've looked at has had the conical ones on there. I guess they got changed out sometime in the last 76 yrs.

It is easy to post pictures to the Forum.

Click on the "Go Advanced" tab

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

Keep the photo file small. 100KB size seems to work fine

I test fitted my front axle yesterday. Try to figure out how much vertical travel there is. With the axle at ride height I measured about 6" of upward travel (possible) without the bumper installed. The radius rod/frame interface is about 5-1/4". Since the radius rod/frame interface is closer to the center point of the travel arc, this seems about right. Unsure of the downward movement as I think the shock would limit this (they are uninstalled). Comments