The 2016 Buick Cascada Thread

38Buick 80C

Thanks for posting the link Brian.

From the comments above, it seems this car was designed for another market. Since the recent BCA survey indicates that 78% of the members who responded were over 60; this car does not seem to be targeted for that group.

I see this as Buick's continuing attempt to move it's customer base into the younger crowd. I think they are more on track for buyers who insist on connectivity & sportiness by offering a car that could work for young singles & couples who may be starting families too.

Thanks for the info, Brian. Interesting car, but it looks a lot like my daughter's 2005 Chrysler Sebring convert., and that's not a bad thing, though it would of been nice to see something a bit more sexy, if thats the right term. Its' not really screaming at me to go out and buy one, but also, there are times the real thing looks better than the pictures. Perhaps this will one of them.

I hope that it does well for Buick, and its' nice that they have a convert coming out for the first time in many years.

Keith

Guest my3buicks

I think it's great looking, will own one at some point. The only similarity I see to a Sebring convertible is the top is down. I think it will do well for Buick, it appears to be well thought out, upscale interior, sleek exterior. It should also fall nicely into a slot between the smaller compact convertibles and the more expensive ones like BMW & Audi's versions. It will also be the only thing like it in the GM lineup as well. Press has been very positive thus far. Buick has been hitting home runs lately with every car they launch, I doubt this one will break the cycle.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest mstanleyfl
At least it does not have that boring vertical grill that Buick is so hung up on. A sporty car in gray (same color as the pavement)?!!

Have to agree with Tank. My first thought was "Why that color to introduce a car?"

I'm on board with it. That grey is the new sexy "Red" from golden years. The point being if they don't sell these cars then they will stop trying. And todays buyers are all over that Grey and Black stuff.

For me, I have ambitions of owning one. Since it is obviously the Regal reincarnated, I wonder is a stick shift is available.

GO BUICK!!! and THANKS GM for something the Division can point to as a "personal car"...

Looks like a Toyota Solara. Generic Motors at its best. What a shame. I will hold back my real opinion till I see it at the press preview @NYIAS

You might be reading my reviews. I am going to the auto show with The Detroit News as shown below

"CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! You have been chosen to be on the Detroit News 2015 Readers’ Choice Awards judging panel. "

It does look a bit like my wife's 2005 Chrysler Sebring Touring Convertible, but if we needed to replace it, I'd certainly consider the Buick over the Fiat-owned Chrysler.

This from the Wall St Journal today...........Bob

GM on Sunday will formally announce plans to build a version of the Opel Cascada in Gliwice, Poland for sale as the Buick Cascada in the United States. Although Poland is not part of the euro zone, the announcement, ahead of the Detroit auto show, is a sign of things to come.

Guest my3buicks

I would like to see a last minute change to a more family familiar grill, this grill is the same as the Opel. There is nothing new with rebadging of Opels as Buicks, but why uoset the applecart now, it is a formula that is working. Whether some of you like it or not, Buick is becoming quite the turnaround story and the products They have out there right now are liked bt the buyers and the press, sales numbers don't lie.

Guest my3buicks

post-30591-143142931908_thumb.jpgpost-30591-143142931908_thumb.jpg

There is a version of the Chrysler that has an accent bar going across the grille, and the body shape clearly follows the design discipline of the G6 and the Solara. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer on this subject, as we have all wanted a Buick halo car for years BUT this is a rebadged Opel and I doubt it lasts a 3 year cycle, with no changes. I miss the old days when each division had it's styling group and Harley Earl then Mitchell would pit them against each other and promote accordingly. The very fact that this Buick convertible is a total surprise tells me that it was a decision based on marketing and bean counter mentality rather then LTP (long term planning). Buick still doesn't have an identity and so they continue to have to bring grandma out and say "I don't see a Buick."

Willie stated at least it doesn't have that up and down Buick motif grille but that is about all there is to tell me it's a Buick! They didn't even change the name from Cascada to Riviera or something.

There was no surprise about it, this convertible has been very well covered and documented for several years as coming out, now the surprise was that new four-door big sedan, didn't see that one coming.

This is probably the Chrysler you're talking about, but again other than the top going down and maybe similar size I see no comparisons.

I like the Cascada name, it's got a good ring to it with a European flaire. In the current lineup, the only name that doesn't fit in is Regal unfortunately.

Guest my3buicks

One place i found the definition you are talking about lol, everywhere else us free flowing, cascade, waterfall. Kind of like the word lacrosse having more than one meaning

The Mitsubishi Eclipse wasn't a bad looking car. Too bad Buick didn't think the Cascada should come in the Mitsubishi Red Pearl paint that I used on my 63 Wildcat. I just hope they aim for VW prices rather than BMW. That is where I have a problem with Buick. This car will probably be over $40k which is too rich for my blood.

FWIW, I showed a pic of the Cascada to my wife and she commented that Buick was making some good looking cars as of late. SHE is a good target audience. Professional 40-something....

Except she looks at cars as utility.

Thanks for posting this Brian, First time I have see it and quite honestly not impressed... where are the BUICK trademark accents...? vente-ports/waterfall grille/side trim-line.... Buick can do MUCH better than this for an American coupe/convertible.

Lots of comments on this new car. that's a good thing. I agree it does look kinda like the Chrysler but it is a good looking auto and it has lots of new stuff in it. I also agree the color is not good for a new car. A convertible should show flash and grey wont make that happen. It is now as before the color should be resale RED but then GM should know that. I like the looks of the Reatta, I have owned several and my fave is red/tan.

Whats old will be new again. I wont buy a grey car no matter who makes, my wife like all wifes will not hesitate to say what they think, and she said that grey cars in convertibles look like caskets and something to be used for funerals. I don't know what else to say????????

Good thing is that Buick is going to sell it. Bad thing is that it's another re-badged Opel with an OPEL GRILLE still in it. What was termed "badge engineering" back when Chrysler was making Plymouths and Dodges with different grilles, tail lights, and interior trim . . . on the exact same car, otherwise. It was derided then, but not now? Other than that? It can be a pretty spiffy car.

The "color"? That's what I term "GM Show Car Silver", which they've used on almost EVERY show car for about 10 years. Somewhat bland to me, but I guess it gives them a constant, of sorts, with which to gauge the vehicle's true appearance? Might be less prone to looking flaky under the HID overhead lights of the indoor car show venues?

I feel that it can fill a niche in the Buick lineup. Re-badged Opel for cost reasons, I suspect. The lack of a manual trans can be "discussed". If it's not too pricey, it'll probably do fine.

Not sure why the capability of opening the top "at speed" is important than to possibly prove the strength of the top hardware? Not sure about the (paraphrased) statement "designed to be a convertible let the platform be stiffer" as a stiffer platform is needed for convertibles, especially. Having a convertible-specific vehicle makes the finances of the vehicle a little more critical in nature.

One way or another, it'll probably sell decently well.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest my3buicks

As far as color - drive around a high end development, 90 percent of the Lexus. BMW and Mercedes, etc are black, sliver, grey and white - Can't fault a manufacturer for showing it in a color that is popular with the higher end buyers.

Guest my3buicks

We really can't go there 5219, the Opel derivatives currently in the Buick stable are doing exceptionally well. So that theory hold no water.

Guest my3buicks
There is one heck of slope to the front windscreen! Far more pronounced than most modern day rag tops.

That was my thought as well, it's almost laying down. Hopefully that won't change.

In grammas words... sorta... "I thought you said this is a Buick, this ain't no Buick, I been drivin Buicks all my life and this ain't no Buick. Get it outa hea!!!!"

Honestly, I am not that crazy about it,didn't enough Buick "styling" go into it. Echoooooo...Of course in my opinion, Buick hasn't made a good looking car since 1954, with the ONLY exception being the '63 Riv !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2016-buick-cascada-mov-exterior-938x528-16BUCA00008_V1.jpg

After my Grandma O'Brien and the brood moved into town from the farm she owned a '49 Roadmaster, a'54 Roadmaster, a '62 Invicta (all black) and then my Uncle Frank showed up with a '68 Skylark. She said "I thought you said this is a Buick, this ain't no Buick" and lit another Chesterfield. He came back with a '68 Wildcat and pleased her.

Forty-five years later I drive through town in this silver gray convertible and was asked by 3 people "Did I see you driving a Mercedes?"

011.jpg

I usually have to move the '60 to get it out of the garage. Guess what happens.

Bernie

Looks like the progression was from "Bucky Beaver", to "piano teeth", to "propeller"?

If not calling it an Opel, what about calling it a Vauxhall instead?

CAR AND DRIVER's article on the Catera, when introduced, stated that the Opel operatives gnashed their teeth over what Cadillac added to the car. The car sold well, at least until the spokesperson was replaced, then seemed to flounder. Replacement parts were typically expensive.

In reality, Opels are also the basis for Holdens. The Catera was designed in Europe, where fuel costs are important, so the car could only hold a 6 cyl engine. When it "went to Oz", they customized it for that market, which meant an enlarged engine compartment for GM LS-family V-8s, upgraded suspension packages, which begat Holden Monaro GT (and the Pontiac GTO). Also the later Pontiac G8 and current Chevy SS. ALL of these cars have had mixed successes in the USA market, for one reason or another. There were some Photoshopped pictures of the Holden Monaro with a 1990s Buick front end on it, which looked QUITE NICE, too. IF Opel hadn't done a good job up front, those other variations would not have been what they came to be in their home market of Oz. Or the Verano and Regal in the USA market.

The Cascada can probably have a decent life in the USA, BUT it needs more traditional Buick styling cues AND identification items (as grille and such!!!) if it is to do all it can do. It's one thing for a Buick to be a "re-badged Opel/Vauxhall" than an Opel/Vauxhall to have started out as a Buick.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

I may be wrong but isn't the current (2015) Buick Regal also an Opel? I wonder how it is doing in today's market. I was intrigued by it when it first came out as it had a manual 6 speed as an option but it seems that there are better cars available from other manufacturers in its price range.