1925 Superior K generator driven oil pump

Guest Al Brass

Guest Al Brass

Hi Chev 4 Gurus,

I am getting ready to overhaul an oil pump and notice some have a by-pass relief valve and some don't. Is this an early/late thing and which is considered best? My original Chev service books don't mention much about the gear driven pump at all.

Regards

Al

Al

Do you have a part number for the housing?

Also, do you have a copy of the Early 4 cylinder Chevrolet "Master Parts Price List"? It shows a "Oil Distribution and Suction Fitting" (part number 344644) for Superior Series K, M, and R starting with engine number 1540961. This part looks to be only a way of distributing the oil since it appears to have no internal parts listed that would act as a relief valve.

For Superor V engine starting after 1 August 1926 the price list shows an "Oil Distribution Fitting" (part number 346762) with an internal spring assembly listed that seems to be more of a by-pass relief valve.

You may want to ask this question on the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America forum since there are a lot more early 4 cylinder Chevrolet experts there.

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wix.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

Guest Al Brass

Hi Vila,

The part number on both oil pump housings is "341 231". The valve I am referring to is fitted to what would have been an extra drilling in the same housing as the one without. I don't have the Master Part Price List. I will pop a question on the VCCA as suggested.

Thanks and regards

Al