Looking for Buick Centurion stereo

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

looking for an AM/FM Delco stereo for a 1972 Buick Centurion. I believe most early 1970s full size GM cars used the same size radio, except Cadillac.

Thanks

Richard

Guest my3buicks

I believe there were some difference in dials, etc, nothing that would keep it from working but depends how picky you are for accuracy.

Guest Richard D

Thank you both for the information. I am completing the restoration, all original except for rubber door and roof seals, tires and paint. I was able to find a bolt of NOS seat cover material so as long as it is a Delco stereo from that era would be fine. I have an 1972 Delco AM/FM/8 Track unit I was going to use so I had it refurbished and working like new. When I tried to install it I found that the pushbuttons with the tuning dial that folds down for the tapes to slide in is 3 inches tall. Of course the dashboard opening is 2.5 inches tall. I don't mind giving up the tape function for just an AM/FM stereo unit that will fit, however stereo is a must. My 1970 Skylark convertible has the monaural model with the front and reaf speakers which is what came in that car and is fine with the top up. Not so much with the top down.

Any advice or location of a stereo is gratefully accepted.

Richard

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

That must not be the right radio for your car then, you should be able to put in any of the optional radio's into the preexisting opening.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest my3buicks

I am pretty sure but not 100% 1971 for the first year and 1972 for the last Underdash. They actually offered an AM 8 track as well as the AM/FM 8 track. Of course 67 was the first year Buick offered 8 track.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest 75RivGS

OK.. thanks. That's also what I thought. Will remove the (combined) AM/FM/player) from my 72 Estate Wagon to look for the date code. Maybe it was added later.

Richard, I have an AM/FM 8 track Delco stereo that should work for you. I received this stereo when I bought my Centurion in 2010. I know the dial face measures 2 1/2 inches high. I have no idea of condition, I'm selling as-is for $100 plus shipping. It has the inner silver knob rings but not the black knobs.

Please let me know if you're interested. I also have 2 AM/FM stereo radios with no 8 track that should work for you. $ 100 each plus shipping, your choice.

Thanks, Dave

post-31691-143142955834_thumb.jpg

post-31691-143142955864_thumb.jpg

Edited by Redrob (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Richard: I have not had time to take my AM-FM radio in for repair, this is the one that works in AM but can not push slide to FM. I would sell for $40.00

as is + shipping, If you have some one who may be able to fix it? The only one I know to check it out is a 80 mile round trip for me and would require 2 trips!

Norman Veness at normarven@aol.com