Replace and Clean transmission and differential oil on very old vehicle

Guest dgriff8923

Guest dgriff8923

Hey guys. Does anyone have a good recipe for removing manual transmission and differential oil on a ww1 era car? This car is not running yet but soon. Thanks

If the differential has no drain plug, you can probably remove 1 bolt from the bottom of the carrier or rear cover. It might take forever.

Or.. you can just loosen the rear cover (assuming it has one) and let the oil drain out - can be messy if you arent carefull.

It very likely has no drain plug and no carrier. My 1910 Mitchell is made that way. There is literally no way to drain it. As my car is apart and I'll be going through the rear end, I plan to put a drain plug in but this isn't practical unless its possible to clean everything out afterwards. I'd be tempted to drop the rear end, take it apart and clean everything but you'll almost certainly find that the rear axel bearings are shot.

Rusty, I hope for his sake it is...I'm betting the cover is on the top. For some reason quite a few brass cars have no facility of draining the differential... I've put drain plugs in two or three of them. I suppose that might offend the "purists" but it does let you maintain them. It would be good of the OP told us what sort of car or truck it was... then perhaps we'd have an answer.