Advice on Shipping a Trunklid

Dan O

I am trying to get a deck lid shipped from KC to Houston. So far the price is about $800 which seems nutty. It would be a concierge type deal where the service picks up, crates and delivers. Seller unable to pack this big item. '49 Riviera trunk lid. Anyone have any advice on or experience with companies that do this sort of thing?

I have used a transport service that Fastenal stores offer, using their internal distribution system between stores. The seller has to take the part to his nearest Fastenal store (I think they will help pack it, not sure of that); and the receiver goes to his nearest Fastenal store and fills out the transport order. You fax the transport order to the company's central distribution system office, and they do the rest. Your local store phones you when it comes in, and you go pick it up there. The item comes in a few days or maybe a week, via the Fastenal trucks when they deliver supplies to the local store. In my case, I received a 1949 hood that came from California. The cost was around $100.

Too bad I didn't know about your transport need. I was in Kansas City the week before Christmas with my truck and trailer, to look at a couple of '37 Roadmasters that were for sale (they are still for sale), and came back with an empty truck & trailer.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

It might be too big to ship by bus plus I think it would have to be packaged anyway and brought to the bus depot. I had a bumper cover shipped that way. I wouldn't do it that way again. The depot closest to me was in a bad part of town and the person working there was dumb as a rock. There was only one package there that big and she didn't clue about it.

I agree on the statement regarding driving it home yourself. Even Penske truck 2-way rental would be cheaper then $ 800 to some extent I would think even with fuel and mileage costs as they have some set price options.

The best benefit to this method is your going to get it home undaunted with not dents or damage. What would it cost you to take the time and effort to correcting the damage some gorillas inflected on it because of harsh handling or poor shipping methods ? Or try a flight to the town, then rent a pickup truck back like with U-haul or the like. This is how I got a car back from Arizona to Calf some years back.

49Massah. try posting a "Need Hauled" ad in this tractor hauling site. I have found a hauler for a couple of big items like hoods and a frame and I think someone on here got a complete floor shipped half way cross country. As you will notice it is not "just" for tractors. KC to Houston is a well traveled route, bet you can land something if you're not in too big a hurry.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl

49Massah. try posting a "Need Hauled" ad in this tractor hauling site. I have found a hauler for a couple of big items like hoods and a frame and I think someone on here got a complete floor shipped half way cross country. As you will notice it is not "just" for tractors. KC to Houston is a well traveled route, bet you can land something if you're not in too big a hurry.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl

Thanks, all. It's 11 hours driving one-way and I have a regular job so driving is out. My main problem is the seller won't pack it so the expense is higher. There is a service called Uship that is probably like the tractor site in that independents will pick up an extra item on their route. Federal Express will ship stuff cheaply as well. I am calling Fastenall today to see if they will pack it.