A/C Question

DPerry

I'm in the process of building a 51 Shoebox. Wondering if anyone has thoughts on air conditioning kit? Car has 351 Ford engine.

Saw a couple of neat installations at a Wavecrest. Are they Vintage Air or what make?

Open to suggestions.

Vintage Air makes a great product. When I was building my '46 Woodie, I talked to the VA people when I went to the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville KY. The only reason I did not put AC in my Woodie is because the '46 has virtually no insulation in the huge roof area, only wood slats and top material. Because of this they recommended the largest unit they make. If I decided to use the AC unit they recommended, I would have had to weld up the cowl vent. I didn't want to do that so I just use the cowl vent and vent windows. They work surprisingly well at speed.

I have ac in my 40 ford wagon..

it takes the edge off, but is nothing like a new car..

Id go as large as you can, and I would look into as much insulation as possible..

the one thing that really helped my own car was moving the mastercylinder up to the firewall, and sealing the floorboard entirely.. that made a HUGE difference in the amount of hot air coming from around the brake pedal etc..

Your '51 is a little different than Jeff's '40 and my '46. We both have wood slats and thin material on the roof, so you can imagine how hot the interior can get. Because of your metal roof, you can use DynaMat insulation and hide it under your headliner material. With the proper AC set up and insulation you should have no problem keeping your car cool.