M5 pickup truck owners

I am looking for an M5 to restore. I would like to know if a 1/2 ton M5 frame is strong enough to pull a trailer with a 2,700 hundred pound Studebaker Rockne on it at 65 mph or if I need to go up to a one ton truck? When I find the truck I plan on a complete restoration with new suspension, new brakes and a V8 engine with at least 300 hp to pull the trailer. I look forward to hearing from truck owners, I would value your advice. Thanks in advance.

OK, you get the M5, replace the engine with a V8 and new automatic transmission, add a Mustang II front suspension, replace the 4.82-ratio rear axle and springs, put in a new steering column, stiffen the back of the frame to handle the tow hitch and box the rest of it, new seats and upholstery, new gauges and wiring, etc. The only thing left of the original M5 is the shell of the cab and the bed, but you'll probably have to install a wood floor to replace the rusted steel floor of the bed. Others have just jacked up the cab and put a Chevy S-10 chassis under it. It only takes 2-3 years and $30,000-$50,000, if you're lucky. When you're done, there is barely room in the cab for you and a passenger, no storage space. I love my M5 to drive around on short trips or up to 100-150 miles, but it isn't a long-distance cruiser. Even with the old Champ 6 and overdrive, it will cruise at 65 mph, but it's not towing anything. My new Ford Expedition EL will pull the M5 on a heavy trailer when we want to take it far away, and it's way more comfortable and safer. Here's a photo of my old Expedition pulling the M5 at the Lancaster, PA meet in 2008.

How about you just get a decent old M5 and drive it around, spend your money on a real tow vehicle?

post-47871-143142926411_thumb.jpg

OK, you get the M5, replace the engine with a V8 and new automatic transmission, add a Mustang II front suspension, replace the 4.82-ratio rear axle and springs, put in a new steering column, stiffen the back of the frame to handle the tow hitch and box the rest of it, new seats and upholstery, new gauges and wiring, etc. The only thing left of the original M5 is the shell of the cab and the bed, but you'll probably have to install a wood floor to replace the rusted steel floor of the bed. Others have just jacked up the cab and put a Chevy S-10 chassis under it. It only takes 2-3 years and $30,000-$50,000, if you're lucky. When you're done, there is barely room in the cab for you and a passenger, no storage space. I love my M5 to drive around on short trips or up to 100-150 miles, but it isn't a long-distance cruiser. Even with the old Champ 6 and overdrive, it will cruise at 65 mph, but it's not towing anything. My new Ford Expedition EL will pull the M5 on a heavy trailer when we want to take it far away, and it's way more comfortable and safer. Here's a photo of my old Expedition pulling the M5 at the Lancaster, PA meet in 2008.

How about you just get a decent old M5 and drive it around, spend your money on a real tow vehicle?