Chrysler 1951 carb

Durkis

Hi!

I think I need a carb rebuild and I found a guy here in Sweden that sells rebuild end tested carbs and he had a Carter E9A1 that is the same as in my car (1951 Windsor 250,6 cui with fluid drive).

My question is if that carb fits my car because he says it´s from a Desoto 1953, but it has the wire connections and it´s the same number as on mine thats in the car.

He wants 375 dollar and it comes with 1 year warranty, but I don´t know if it will fit my car.

Lars

Lars, the e9a1 is the correct carb for a 1953 Desoto six and also the 1951 Chrysler six.the manual also lists the e9c and the e9c1 as correct for both cars. I had a 51 Windsor with fluid drive and it had the e9a1. all the adjustments are the same for all three carbs so I think you are good to go. the price is ok if it has been flow tested and is guaranteed.as far as I know Desoto and Chrysler shared the same trans. so the carb you are looking at should be compatible. it will mount to the manifold and the linkage connections should be an exact fit, as will the fuel line. nice car, probably not too many in Sweden. skyler

Thanks for the quick answer Skyler.

Welll, he says that he rebuilt it and tested it on a statonary engine.

There is a total of 4 Windsors from 1951 and 2 from 1952 here in Sweden that are driveable and used in the summertime so when you find something that goes with the car you want to buy it.

Well, I think I gonna buy the carb and see if I can cut the fuelconsumption a bit, we pay something around 13kronor/liter (thats about 6,50$ A gallon).

Thanks again

Lars

Your car should be good for about 18 miles per gallon in normal use. On a trip of 50 miles, on good roads, at 50 - 60 MPH. This is not bad for a large, comfortable car of that vintage. And of course it will burn the cheapest regular. I don't know if you live in the country but around here some people use low octane tractor gas (untaxed). 60 octane or better is fine.

If your compression is good (100PSI or more on all cylinders) and the car is in good tune it should not be too bad on gas. Low power, hard starting and heavy gas consumption point to a worn engine or badly out of tune.

Hi Rusty.

the engine is in pretty good shape, when it has not been used for say two weeks it usually start after 5-6 cranks and there is good power, I have not tested the compression yet but I will.

The gas consumption is somewhere around 14 miles per gallon, maybe it's not that bad.

I just thought it may be a worn carb, the carbonmonoxid, is a bit high in the exhaust , so they said when I had the car tested.

The lowest octane we got here is 95 unleaded and it's almost 1$ in tax on the gasprice, the farmers got some tax relief on diesel fuel otherwise it's full tax...but hey, you gotta put the money you earn somewhere so why not on gas.

thanks for the answers

Lars

Your mileage seems on the low side but may be normal for traffic driving and short trips. You may be able to reduce costs by cutting the 95 octane with up to 20% kerosene if kerosene is cheaper than gas. This will not hurt the engine, in fact it will run better and cooler on low octane gas. It was built for 65 octane fuel which was regular gas when it was built.

Kerosene? Is that what ju use in oil lamps? That stuff is even more expensive here than gas.

When I bought my Chrysler the guy had one gearbox that seems to be complete (not the governor) and one gearbox that was pulled appart plus one fluid drive turbin and I got that in the buy. A couple of days ago I meet a guy on facebook who owns a 51Windsor two door with a broken gearbox, so I sold the stuff I had to him for 500$ so he can get his car back on the roads.

So with the money from that I will by a rebuild carb and hopefully I will cut down the gas consumption.

Otherwise I have to check the engine.

Oh right I just bought myself a shop manual :-)

Lars

Crude oil is down from $108 to $48. We are already seeing cheaper gas prices here (Canada) below $1 a litre for the first time in years. Maybe next summer you be able to afford gas for your Chrysler.

I know it hurts to fill the tank. But truthfully, the Chrysler gets decent mileage for a large, luxury car of that vintage.

I have owned and driven old Mercedes, Jaguar and Volvo cars. They do not get any better mileage than American cars of similar size and power. It is an unfortunate fact of physics, that weight requires energy to move it.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

We just use the Chrysler in the summertime and not like a daily driver and the annual roadtax is like 8 bucks and the insurence 100 bucks a year, and that is an insurance that covers everything.

Our daily driver is a Saab 9-3 twin turbo diesel with a diesel consumption like 44 miles per gallon.

So the money we save by driving the Saab we can fill the Chrysler tank with, but still I would like to get the gas consumption down to a little more normal so we can use it even more because it is such a joy to drive.

And my wife really would love have the car like a daily driver.

By the way, do anyone of you nice guys and girls know if you could get fenderskirts for the Windsor? A new friend of mine that owns a 2 door Windsor 1951 here in Sweden asked me that.

Lars

Hey!

I got my "new" carb today and immediately I have a question!

The climate choke, it is broken on my old carb.

There is a hose or tube connection, but where on the engine shall I connect it?

If someone has a picture on it it would be great, I have googled for a couple of hours and I can´t find a good picture on the hoseconnection.

Lars

I do not have any pictures, but it just slips into a small protruding pipe on the exhaust manifold which the pipe coming off of the carb should just reach to. if you are looking at the carb from the passenger side fender the manifold pipe is slightly lower and to the left of the carb base. I ran my 54 Windsor without it, just closed off all the piping. once the car warms up it is not needed to run the engine properly. having it in working condition is good, but not needed. on an original setup the pipe from the carb to manifold is wrapped in a heat shield material, perhaps asbestos. keeps more heat in to get to the choke mechanism. skyler

1951 did not have that type choke. They had a Sisson choke which mounted on the exhaust manifold.

Newer models from 1953 or 54 had a round choke mechanism on the side of the carburetor, is that what you have?

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.607989660969929016&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

The choke is the round black thing on the left side.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Those use a small steel pipe about the size of a pencil. It takes hot air from the exhaust manifold to the choke. There should be a threaded connection on the choke. You will need to find a suitable pipe and fitting, and drill a hole in the exhaust manifold to use this choke. Steel fuel line will work. As Skyler said it is best to wrap the pipe with insulation.

Rusty - with no offense meant, Chrysler started using the hot air choke in 1951. The E9A1 the OP is discussing has Carter Climatic Control part number 170AA-181s which was superceded approximately April of 1951 with 170AA-312s.

The E7J3 and E7J4 used in 1950 did use the old Sisson choke.

Lars - I don't have a diagram of the 1951 Chrysler engine. In general, there would have been a metal tube with asbestos insulation connecting the fitting in the center of the Climatic Control with a fitting or a hole on the exhaust manifold.

If you cannot find the hole or fitting on the manifold, you can easily fabricate a "heat stove" to connect the pipe. This link will explain how:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Heatstovefabrication.htm

I understand someone is currently reproducing these commercially, but shipping to Sweden might cost more than the part, and it is easily fabricated.

Jon.

Guest 1952NewYorkerconvertible

I have a 1952 new york do you know how to start it?

it has a 2 position switch for a key. no buttons or other switches.

I have a 1952 new york do you know how to start it?

it has a 2 position switch for a key. no buttons or other switches.

I have the 2 position key switch and a start button just above the the key so I just turn the key and push the button.

But my car has been here in Sweden for a long time and it is converted to 12 volts so I dont really know if that is the original starter procedure.

Listen to what Rusty O'toole and C49er has to say about this because they really know what they are talking about, they helped me alot.

Good luck with your car.

Lars

1952, nice car. not a lot of convertibles made by Chrysler in that year. I have a 1954 Windsor convertible, only 500 made. still not very valuable as Chryslers just don,t get the big money. as far as starting it, you can always put the key to on and then jump the solenoid to crank it. that of course is only a temporary fix. I think you need a little help and advice from someone in your area who knows more than you do. these are very basic cars and you can learn their ways easy. get the manuals for the car. the car you have is rare and a pleasure to drive once it is roadworthy.it will attract a lot of attention.parts are easy to get.be sure to note that the driver side lug bolts are left hand thread. if I was near you I would help you out. skyler