1951 Plymouth 4 door sedan

Well it looks like I will finally be getting myself into the old car world! It isn't anything special, but it's mine and I have to admit, I have always had a "thing " for these old Dodge and Plymouth upside down bathtub looking cars. Car runs and drives, needs a master cylinder. Price was good too.Since we all love pics , here are some for you to look at.

00404_5sfNHgnNPgE_600x450_zpsb5307680.jpg

00707_g3CX2J3DGBQ_600x450_zps5569fcbd.jpg

00M0M_2LMhpworsJy_600x450_zps93517090.jpg

00x0x_4cKO2uDt3ZQ_600x450_zps839c038a.jpg

00d0d_gpSN7AbmYNv_600x450_zps69a0446f.jpg

00E0E_1XEODx1DmHs_600x450_zps70543576.jpg

00y0y_hSPKQdCP3O2_600x450_zps57a1b133.jpg

Great cars . I have a 1950 Chrysler . There is a yard in penna off 81 that has a few of the 50,s still there the owner is great to deal with I can get the info if you want it. kings32

It is fun to see the old Mopar cars and how lookalike they are.

This is my Chrysler from 1951 and you can see that they used the same fenders and such.

post-100951-143142924299_thumb.jpgI bought my car 1 year ago and I have been driving it untill the snow came.

It is fun to see the old Mopar cars and how lookalike they are.

This is my Chrysler from 1951 and you can see that they used the same fenders and such.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]289860[/ATTACH]I bought my car 1 year ago and I have been driving it untill the snow came.

Just to clarify....the fenders on the Chrysler may look the same, but are WAY different and will not interchange. The good thing is that the Plymouth looks fairly solid and complete. Always a good start.

Great cars . I have a 1950 Chrysler . There is a yard in penna off 81 that has a few of the 50,s still there the owner is great to deal with I can get the info if you want it. kings32

If you can find that contact info for me I would appreciate that, thank you. Who knows, they might have some other bits and pieces I want as well

Congrats! Looks like a fun project. I have an almost complete parts car. Let me know if there is anything you might need. I'll take a look at the rims and hubcaps once it gets a bit warmer out. It was -10°f not including the wind chill this morning, so no long trips outside for this guy.

Once home I will go completely threw the car. I love to do upholstery and detailing so, I'm not worried about the interior, it will be nice when I'm done with it. The engine will get a complete tune up and service. I'm going to detail the engine bay as well.

As I said earlier, those horrible wheels (UGH) have to go! So those will be replaced for sure, so if you could check on those wheels when it does warm up I would be grateful. Wouldn't have a better looking front bumper then mine would you? As for the mechanical, the guy currently drives it when ever he likes, so I'll maintain it mechanically and enjoy driving it. The paint............IS HORRIBLE as you can see, but some sanding and elbow grease will smooth things out and eliminate the surface rust. Then I'll have to get it primed and and/or painted to keep the surface rust from coming back. Body work and paint was something I was never experienced at but am going to learn for sure. Stay tuned as the work progresses and thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

The front bumper actually looks pretty good. A chrome place will make it look better.

Yes that's true enough. This one looks like it has silver paint on it with no chrome underneath. I was wondering about that grille guard in the front. I know it is bent but was it a factory part? Chroming is pretty expensive but I would like it to match the rear bumper which looks pretty good. So if Dan has one I may take it with those wheels and hubcaps

Edited by ScottD961 (see edit history)

Sorry took slong The yard is Klinger's 107 Birds Hill Rd Pine Grove, Pa 570345 8779 That's off 81 kings32

No worries, I figured you were busy. I already looked them up on the net and got there number so I will give them a call tomorrow, Thank you

I've seen stock wheels and hubcaps at swap meets, not too scarce, that is until you're looking for them. For now, you might be able to pop some hubcaps over those hokey wheels! Nice car as is, even better after some polishing. Good luck! Larry W.

There are no provisions on those mags for the factory hubcaps, and most wheel discs won't likely fit. Congrats on the find. My first car was a 52 Plymouth and I hope to put it back on the road some day. Right now it is much rougher than what you have.

Maybe someone else can chime in here, but unless some of the 51's had a dramatically different rear bumper, that one looks a way too square to me. I've never seen one with that bottom lip either, all the ones that I have seen are more rounded like your front one.

Edited by whtbaron (see edit history)

There are no provisions on those mags for the factory hubcaps, and most wheel discs won't likely fit. Congrats on the find. My first car was a 52 Plymouth and I hope to put it back on the road some day. Right now it is much rougher than what you have.

Maybe someone else can chime in here, but unless some of the 51's had a dramatically different rear bumper, that one looks a way too square to me. I've never seen one with that bottom lip either, all the ones that I have seen are more rounded like your front one.

You are correct. Here is the correct rear bumper for the 1951 Plymouth....

post-37352-143142926059_thumb.jpg

You are correct. Here is the correct rear bumper for the 1951 Plymouth....

Actually Keiser, now that you mention it, you are right. The bumper on the back of the car in fact does NOT match the front at all. To me, the more I look at it, it looks like it might be the front bumper of another,later year car, turned upside down. Something more to find! LOL. Actually guys I knew I couldn't put hubcaps over those mag wheels but yeah, those gotta go for sure. That, and I want to raise the front end back up to it's normal height. Looks like someone tried to Kustomize her at some point ...........and did a bad job. Thank goodness they stopped before reaching the engine and interior

Edited by ScottD961 (see edit history)

Just to clarify....the fenders on the Chrysler may look the same, but are WAY different and will not interchange.]

Oh ok, I thought it would...I know that a Desoto front will intechange with my car and I thought that it was the same wtih the Plymouth. Lesson learned :-)

Anyway the Plymouth has a very nice front.

I took a slightly altered route to work today, and past a sign shop that had a Plymouth like your's parked in front with the same rear bumper as yours. No time to photo, but I suspect that the bumper you have could be correct for your car.

My best guess without knowing how heavy the metal is, would be that it is the front bumper off a 53 Desoto inverted and moved to the back. Probably bolt right on. I think I know why your front bumper is painted too. It looks like they moved the bumper guards in closer to the center when they added that brush bar. Since the original guards were also bumper bolts, the original bumper bolts would need to be ground flush and welded in to disappear, so after they messed up the chrome they painted it. The original guards were shaped more upright at the back, less so at the front and didn't have exposed bolt heads either.

post-47067-143142927276_thumb.jpg

Oh well...guess I struck out on the bumper, but I am sure those new front guards are narrower than stock, which means another bumper without the extra holes and welding will probably be the easiest way to go. My 52's had add-on turn signal indicators, whereas this one is built into the column. Not sure if that's from a later car, or if it was an option. The holes for the Cranbrook/Cambridge insignias on the sides of the front fenders have also been filled, so there's a good possibility that this is not the original color.

I think I know what happened here. If you Google "1950 Plymouth", you will see that both bumpers are identical to the 1950 Plymouth. That is what I see in my Plymouth books. The rear is different as yours is and has the lower bulge. The front overriders are the same as 1950.

Thank you Keiser! I think you are right ! I know of another 50 Plymouth sitting in a guys yard torn down but complete. I'm going to go over there and ask him if I can check them out. In the meantime I'll be looking for some for a 51. Anyone know where I can buy a shop manual for this?

There is a 50 Dodge Coronet for sale at a recycling center north of Knoxville, TN. It appears to be complete and might make a good parts car for your project. I was tempted to buy it and restore it as a taxi cab, but alas I have too many projects already. Have fun with your car!

I think I know what happened here. If you Google "1950 Plymouth", you will see that both bumpers are identical to the 1950 Plymouth. That is what I see in my Plymouth books. The rear is different as yours is and has the lower bulge. The front overriders are the same as 1950.
My Hollander's Interchange manual lists two separate part numbers for '51-'52 rear face bar, depending on model.

a third number is listed for Suburban wagon.