54 New Yorker electrical

Guest My54hemi

Guest My54hemi

I recently tried to start my 54 New Yorker deluxe and had power at the switch, light on the dash, all electrical was working. Once I turned the switch the motor didn't turn and I lost all electrical power. Obviously I blew a fuse or something but I don't know what or where. Where's the fuse panel in these cars? I have no wiring diagram. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

First check the battery cables. If they are not making a good connection they will fail as you describe. It is purely a matter of the cables not making good contact.

Chrysler did not use fuses they used the more expensive circuit breakers. Usually 2 under the dash, one of them attached to the light switch. They are not your problem at least, it would be a super long shot if they were. (I no longer say anything is impossible on an old car).

What Rust said. Check both ends of the battery cables to make sure they are clean and tight. A poor connection will allow light loads to function, but a heavy load like a starter will cause what you describe.

Terry

I guess you do not want a wiring diagram. just as well. the last guy I sent one to never even emailed me back to acknowledge receiving it or posted a thank you on the forum. anyway, good luck with the car. the 54 Chrysler is one of those underappreciated old cars. skyler

The OP has 3 posts to his name, all in this thread. I guess he never bothered to check back in the last week. It is surprising how often this happens. On another board a young fellow asked where he could get back issues of a certain car magazine. 3 days later I posted to the thread that I had 8 of them and would send them free of charge if he would shoot me his address. Never got a response.

I guess you do not want a wiring diagram. just as well. the last guy I sent one to never even emailed me back to acknowledge receiving it or posted a thank you on the forum. anyway, good luck with the car. the 54 Chrysler is one of those underappreciated old cars. skyler

Skyler and Rusty. You have hit my hot button. Many times I've spent 15/20 minutes looking up info for some s**t head who never even bothers to return much less say a simple "thanks". I seldom bother anymore..............Bob

Skyler and Rusty. You have hit my hot button. Many times I've spent 15/20 minutes looking up info for some s**t head who never even bothers to return much less say a simple "thanks". I seldom bother anymore..............Bob
Yeah Bob, like many others on this forum, I try to diagnose the cause and solution to the problems people are having with there antique cars. It would be great to know if I, or anyone else was correct and solved the problem. That way, we all learn from it.