1937 Buick

Guest wb1960

Guest wb1960

Hi, I am involved in helping an old timer buddy of mine looking to sell his 1937 Buick. Has been garaged and under a cover for the last 50 years.There is some minor cover damage. Might be some chrome pitted and a new paint job. Everything is original. The interior is in mint condtition. Is there a way with this vin number I can find out a more detailed description of this car. I believe it is called 1937 Buick Special Has a straight 8 in it. Any information will be greatly appreciated. I will be getting an emailed pic of it very soon

Thanks in Advance

Bill

There will be a

- a data plate on the cowl/firewall

- frame number somewhere

- engine serial number

These can decoded by sean1997 here

VIN's as we know them today did come in effect until the mid 1950's

Bill, I don't believe that the VIN number holds much detailed information about the old timer's car. You need to look at the data plate that is on the firewall on the passenger's side. If you reply back with that information, many folks here will be able to help. Also, make sure you take a pic of the data plate and include it along with the many other pics you'll be posting in your sales ad.

Another suggestion that I have is to try to avoid possible conflicting statements. For example, an interior that is "original" and therefore 78 years old doesn't seem possible to be in "mint" condition. Or, a car with a new paint job with car cover damage needs more explanation because it just doesn't add up unless the owner recently put a cover on the new paint that maybe wasn't fully cured? Or, maybe the car had a new paint job 50 years ago and 50 years of being covered damaged the paint. You want to be absolutely clear with your description.

Good luck with your efforts to help your friend.

Guest wb1960
Bill, I don't believe that the VIN number holds much detailed information about the old timer's car. You need to look at the data plate that is on the firewall on the passenger's side. If you reply back with that information, many folks here will be able to help. Also, make sure you take a pic of the data plate and include it along with the many other pics you'll be posting in your sales ad.

Another suggestion that I have is to try to avoid possible conflicting statements. For example, an interior that is "original" and therefore 78 years old doesn't seem possible to be in "mint" condition. Or, a car with a new paint job with car cover damage needs more explanation because it just doesn't add up unless the owner recently put a cover on the new paint that maybe wasn't fully cured? Or, maybe the car had a new paint job 50 years ago and 50 years of being covered damaged the paint. You want to be absolutely clear with your description.

Good luck with your efforts to help your friend.

Joe, greatly appreciate your response. I just relayed that info to my buddy. Hope to get back here soon to post.

Thanks again

Bill

Body tag is hard to read but I think it says:

BUICK MOTOR CO.

FLINT, MICH.

1937 MOD. 41

STYLE No 37-4419

BODY No 63689

TRIM No 301

PAINT No 500

MO. DAY YEAR

BODY BY FISHER

1937 = 1937 model year

41 = Buick model 41 = Special 4-door sedan - trunk back, 5-passenger

Style No. 37-4419

37 = 1937 model year

4419 = Fisher body style number

4 = Buick

4 = Series 40/Special

19 = 4-door sedan - trunk back, 5-passenger

BODY No 63689

63689th 4419 built at Flint, MI

TRIM No 301 = Trim 301 = Taupe Mohair Fabric, available on models 41, 44, 46, 46S, 47, 48

PAINT No 500 = solid Imperial Black

clearer pic of tag mounted on firewall. Is that a 41 or 45 for model. Sean says he believes it is a 41. Anyways, is there a price range this car should be listed for?

post-105564-143142932168_thumb.jpg

post-105564-143142932154_thumb.jpg

post-105564-143142932164_thumb.jpg

Bill, you asked a question about price range for this car and I'll give you my opinion, others may see it differently and that's ok. First, the car looks to be straight and complete. I am assuming that rust is minimal and that it will run and drive with only minor attention. Interested parties will value the car for these strengths but will also see a need to invest a lot more for restoration work. The costs to do this work will easily approach and very likely exceed it's finished worth. So, market value, which is demand driven, is going to be soft.

I think that a price range between $3500 and $4800 will be a place to start. To expect more, you can get her to a point where someone can hop in, start it up, and take it for a spin around the block.

No doubt it can be a beautiful car.