55 firewall cover, removing pins?!

wex65

That's what I did - replacements are available so ruining them wasn't a problem.

There are some that you can get from the engine compartment. Tapping them in may work.

Thanks Paul. I removed the cover and heater and am trying to get my head around how these pins work. I ordered a new cover and set of pins from NPD and will look at the new ones. It appears then they are installed from the engine compartment side of the firewall and spring open, holding the cover, meaning they stay inserted?

When you get your new pins, order a few extra! They install from the interior side and you will break a few getting them back in. With the new firewall cover some of them will be hard to keep fastened. You are right that the pin side showing in the engine compartment has little prongs that grab the firewall. Good luck!

Thanks guys, the cover and pins arrive later this week. I will post an update once the new cover is in place in the event it helps others. The old wiring behind the dash was "interesting" to say the least. The mods made by a PO left my scratching my head...

All new looms going in so should be back to factory spec, except for the 12v conversion.