My new 1972 Buick Electra

Guest 49 plymouth

Guest 49 plymouth

post-62602-143142919459_thumb.jpg

I just picked up this 1972 Buick Electra after Christmas. It was buried in a shed for over 10 years in Mena, Arkansas. We unburied it, put a charged battery in it and it started up right away with it's original fuel. After an oil change, some fresh fuel and new tires, checked the hoses and lines, etc, it made it successfully from AR to our home in NC 900 miles away. I feel fortunate...it is a nice, clean, straight rust-free car with a pretty good interior. At some point, someone had extended fins from the rear quarter panels and made a good job of it. The argument of whether or not to put the quarter panels back to original is still up for discussion.

post-62602-143142919487_thumb.jpg

post-62602-143142919497_thumb.jpg

Guest 49 plymouth
An interesting find. 67 Electra hubcaps look so good!

Oh I did not know they were not originally to the car thanks for the info, any view on the fins?

Guest my3buicks

post-30591-143142920184_thumb.jpgHere is the standard Electra wheelcover for 72 and also the optional wire wheel cover - these were the only option on the Electra.

The fins look well done, the cost of putting them back to original may be substantial and make it not feasible. Someone must have really liked fins to have gone to that trouble. Might have been the same person that did this LOL(just kidding). post-30591-143142920264_thumb.jpg

The rear antenna's are also added as a fyi.

post-30591-143142920182_thumb.jpg

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest 49 plymouth

Thank you for the info. I think I like my wheel covers. Not sure about the other conversion you showed. The chap I bought this the car from reduced the height of the fins, they were much taller once. I dont mind them, the car has a back street, custom look about it I kind of like. What has been pleasant about the car was all the reviews I came across were positive, and when I drove the car Iwas very pleasantly surprised. even with my worn out suspension, it a great car to drive. Coming from the UK, I had an idea of something which would be considered outrageous back home - this fits the bill. Definitely a Route 66 Car for me.

Guest 49 plymouth
I think the fins are not for me. While I can appreciate some modifications, I usually like my Buicks stock. But if you like them then that is good.

Thanks for the input, I dont think I would have done it, but now its done, and not to in your face, I might just leave for now, and focus my time on mechanical.

• 1 month later...

I'm normally for stock Buicks, not modified;

but the small added fins are certainly noteworthy.

Imagine fixing it up and keeping the fins.

Sometime, years down the road, the original owner

or his descendants may spot the car and immediately

identify it! "Wow, grandpa's old Buick! I can't believe

t's still around!"

And those fins probably have an interesting story behind them,

if you could only find out what it is.

Guest 49 plymouth
I'm normally for stock Buicks, not modified;

but the small added fins are certainly noteworthy.

Imagine fixing it up and keeping the fins.

Sometime, years down the road, the original owner

or his descendants may spot the car and immediately

identify it! "Wow, grandpa's old Buick! I can't believe

t's still around!"

And those fins probably have an interesting story behind them,

if you could only find out what it is.

Hi thanks for the reply. I know of the guy who added them they were taller, he has done many many cars and is quite an clever guy, he has taken some real basket cases and turned them around, he is very much into old school and not trailer queen show cars, this has led him to convert many less desirable cars into somthing interesting.

The fins are built up with sheet metal on top of old ones but there is some evidence of rust starting under the filler they have been on thete at least 15 years so it might be time for the to go

Guest 49 plymouth

Yes it would. well, I am going to focus on the mechanical jobs. spring will be here soon and I want to use the car.

I have to replace rear bearings and seals, shocks, total rebuild brakes, reinstall fuel tank with new hoses, find oil leak ( think it's the pump) and a load of small jobs. fins will have to wait a little.

There shouldn't be too many mechanical things to fix if you were able to drive it 900 miles after you picked it up. That's really impressive. I like the fins, although if they are causing rust issues, I recommend removing them as quickly as possible so that the rust doesn't get too far along and cause other major issues with the original body.

Guest 49 plymouth

Yes I think you are correct, its been inside for the last ten years, but the welding was not primed on the inside. But I am not to worred. I put the shafts back today.post-62602-143142972297_thumb.jpgpost-62602-143142972297_thumb.jpg

Guest 49 plymouth
There shouldn't be too many mechanical things to fix if you were able to drive it 900 miles after you picked it up. That's really impressive. I like the fins, although if they are causing rust issues, I recommend removing them as quickly as possible so that the rust doesn't get too far along and cause other major issues with the original body.
No most of it was stuff that needed doing before it was parked up, mostly service stuff

Interesting car, looks like you will be enjoying it come the better weather. Though I won't have ever put fins on it, they don't look bad, and like a previous poster said, it makes it rather unique. My suggestion (after all its' your car) is that if they don't annoy you, and the car otherwise doesn't need body and paint work, just leave them.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty
spelling, grammar (see edit history)

Guest 49 plymouth

Its funny how many people like them, they are very well done. its fun deciding. Excuse to by another, one with fins one without ? No her indoors wont go for that ha