R & R Field Coils

Curti

You need a really wide bladed screw driver, and you need to but a lot of downward pressure on it to keep it from stripping the screw slot. They you need to gain some leverage on the screwdriver. I've used a crescent wrench on a square shanked screw driver, while leaning my chest against the end to put a lot of downward pressure. I've seen pictures of a fixture that has a bed to but the body of the generator in, with a levered handle with a screwdriver attached. You pull down on the lever to exert downward pressure.

To re-install the coils, use a hex head bolt with a washer to draw the coils up really tight and to conform them to the body of the generator. Once you've got it as tight as you can with the hex head bolt, remove it and replace it with the screw, drawing it as tight as you can.

The proper tool to use is an "impact-driver". Select the right driver blade, set for left or right and one hit with a hammer either tightens or loosens the screws. I have seen many makes of these since I worked for GM in 1960. I bought mine a few years ago, its a T6348 Hammer Driver" and weighs about a pound. It came in a little kit about 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 7 1/2" and cost about $15.00. It sure beats playing around with makeshift things. Easier on the fingers and machine screws too.

The proper tool to use is an "impact-driver". Select the right driver blade, set for left or right and one hit with a hammer either tightens or loosens the screws. I have seen many makes of these since I worked for GM in 1960. I bought mine a few years ago, its a T6348 Hammer Driver" and weighs about a pound. It came in a little kit about 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 7 1/2" and cost about $15.00. It sure beats playing around with makeshift things. Easier on the fingers and machine screws too.

A Google of T6348 Hammer Driver dosn't produce ant results. Is that the correct description?