6 Volt Generator

mvmautorossa

I am looking for a parts diagram ("exploded view") of a Westinghouse 6 volt generator (with attached regulator). Any leads to link showing a picture, or any other helpful info, would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Bob

Bob; I have a Wells Auto Electrician's handbook with many different electrical schematics of Westinghouse generators and voltage regulators for cars up to 1922. There are no 'exploded' view though. So if this could help, let me know the year and model you are looking for. Regards; Jerry Janson

Jerry -

Thanks for your reply. The Westinghouse generator that I am working on was original equipment in my 1930 Springfield RR Phantom One. The generator has the number 922 stamped on the housing -- and in the RR Owner's Handbook it is referred to as Part # A-9547 (which may be a RR number and not a Westinghouse number?). The regulator is attached to the generator. I am trying to figure out why the generator is not putting out the usual charge -- my ammeter is running slightly negative at normal speed. I am thinking about taking the generator apart to check the brushes; and ideally I would like to have an exploded parts diagram to help me understand how everything comes apart.

Since your book is for cars up to 1922, I don't know whether or not the generators described in the Wells handbook you have would still be the same model(s) sold in 1930. In the meantime, I took a couple of pictures to help you and anyone else looking at this post see just what my generator looks like -- which might be helpful because I am sure that other cars of this era probably also had this type of Westinghouse generator. Again thanks for responding.

Bobpost-88214-143142926041_thumb.jpg

post-88214-143142926033_thumb.jpg

Bob, my book covers up only to frame #760. You need frame #922 as you indicated. I would try the AACA library or the RR owners club. Also, before removing your generator, try removing the black band cover on the right side. It should give you access to the brushes, and the commutator. At this point you should be able to lift the brushes and clean the commutator with a fine sand paper. I just did this to a delco starter generator on an early Cadillac. It had not been charging so I cleaned the commutator and it is again charging properly. Good luck and regards; Jerry Janson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 4/22/2019 at 6:20 PM, Noodles-Von-Noodlestein said:

HI Jason, Jerry

Stumbled across this feed - I'm in New Zealand wanting Information on the Rolls Royce Generator from a US 1929 Springfield Phantom 1  Chassis # S255KR

I would be interested in Wiring Diagram and cut out settings and parameters if possible  please.

KInd Regards

David

david@nordellrestorations.com

I have posted some information from the factory to help you.......it clearly states to take the car to the local RR Maintenance Depot near you.......good advice! 😎

Here is a listing of your car from factory records............nice machine. I was born and raised in Springfield and worked under original factory service technicians as a young teen. Great bunch of guys.

I have never needed to service or adjust the output on a P1 or P2. also enclosed is a photo of P1 production....good luck!

IMG_9367.jpg

IMG_9368.jpg

IMG_9336.JPG

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I have always been fortunate enough to not have a problem with one of these, but if going to the effort to rebuild and you or a client are willing via time/patience/wallet, the casing on these generators is nickle plated and the perfect time to replate is when you know you have to replace the field winding. 

Personally, I would not be afraid to try my hand via your best local/regional  generator rebuilding shop or I would be getting on the phone with Brian Joseph at Classic and Exotic,  Pierce at  https://www.vintagegaragevt.com/  ,  Tim Jayne,at Dennison-Jayne Motors  tim@royceparts.com,  Steve Litton at vintage and Auto Rebuilds nfo@ghostparts.com , Steve Babinsky has probably been here done that, and I am sure there are quite a few other people who have reinvented the wheel here.  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Also, Rhode Island Wire can make you "double woven wiring" (which I believe was made by Westinghouse) -  I do not recall the gauge, but the insulation is a double thickness.  And, the terminals are insulated with a waxed cloth string.   And, a few other people keep the wire in stock.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...